Chapter 26

I took out a half a grapefruit, 60 calories, half a pack of oatmeal, 80 calories, and zero calorie tea. Emma watched me like a hawk as I prepared my breakfast. I already gulped down half a gallon of water, so I was already full, but whatever. "How was last night?" I asked, making conversation.

"Oh, it was great actually," she grinned. "He's a real gentleman."

I had a feeling she was trying to make me jealous. Her fingers quickly moved over her IPhone, probably texting one of her snobby friends.

"Did he kiss you goodnight?" I wondered.

"Uh, no," she cleared her throat.

"Oh," I raised my eyebrows as I poured stevia into my tea, trying to keep a smile off my face.

"We're taking things slow," she explained.

"Is that what he said?"

"Yes," she sounded defensive. Someone had a weak spot. I heard a knock on the kitchen door. Placing my mug down on the counter, I walked over to open the door.

"Hey," Zayn said as he stepped in, placing a kiss on my cheek. "I brought this for you," he handed me a plastic container. "It's leftovers from last night," he explained as he stepped into my house. "Oh, hey," he smiled, noticing Emma. "I forgot you're here all the time now."

"Yup, I'll be here a lot now," she grinned, shooting me a look. I placed the container in the fridge, walking back to my food. Zayn went to Emma, gave her a hug, and then sat in the seat next to her. I noticed that he gave me a kiss and her a hug.

She grabbed his hand, locking her fingers with his. "Is she eating enough food?" He asked her like I wasn't in the room.

"Yeah, so far she's been fine."

I sat down, with my breakfast, next to Zayn. He shifted his attention to me as I continued to eat. I finished my grapefruit, but I couldn't get through my oatmeal.

"I'm done. It's too much," I shoved the bowl away from me.

"Sorry, Nessa, you have to eat it. Christina's orders," Emma said.

"Well I can't if I don't have room left in my stomach." I crossed my arms.

Zayn let go of Emma's hand, grabbing the bowl. "C'mon, Ness. It's only a little bit more. Please? For me?"

"But, Zayn, I'm not hungry," I lied.

"It's only a little bit. At least have half of it."

I stared at the bowl of oatmeal in front of me, "Fine." I agreed, taking it from him.

"Thank you, baby," he gave me a kiss on the cheek. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Emma shift in her seat.

"So how's school?" I asked him as I scooped oatmeal onto my spoon.

"It's fine." I could tell he was lying.

"Hm, really?"

"Yup."

I got up from my chair, taking the bowl of oatmeal with me, dumping the food into the trash.

"I'll be back, I'm going to go talk to Miranda," Emma mumbled, sensing the tension.

"You said you would eat it." He stood up, stepping towards me.

"Yeah, and you said there would be no more lying. What's going on?" I demanded. The words that came out of my mouth had a horrible taste. I was a hypocrite. I was saying that I was getting better, but I wasn't. If he told me what was going on, then I'd tell him that I was relapsing.