Chapter 9

"But you are," he protested. "Do you know how many people would want to be you? You're smart, beautiful, thin, sweet." He continued to kiss me. "You have perfect hair, perfect personality, perfect smile-"

"Zayn, I'm serious."

"I didn't call you perfect, sweetheart. I listed your perfect characteristics," he grinned into my neck. I pulled away before I would lash out on him. I wasn't perfect. I just put on a perfect appearance so no one suspected anything was wrong with me.

"I think I heard your mom come home. You're not allowed to have girls in your room, remember?" I teased.

"Well she doesn't even know your over," he grinned walking over to me. His large hand grabbed me, pulling me closer, drawing me into a kiss. I snaked my arms around his neck until we stumbled onto his bed.

"Zayn, you're gonna get me in trouble," I giggled.

"You can't always be good, baby," his mouth twisted up deviously as he got off of me. "C'mon, let's go say hi to her," he held out a hand to help me up.

"But, she'll know I was up here."

"We'll just be quiet when we go down the steps. Trust me, just don't go on the wrong steps, they squeak."

"Well how do I know which one's squeak?"

"Zayn! You have company!" His mom called out.

Great.

Zayn put me down from his back as we hit the bottom of the steps. "Oh," I mumbled, looking at Marie. She was wearing a size 00 mini skirt, despite how cold it was, and a skimpy shirt. I looked down to the sweatpants and Zayn's shirt that I was wearing.

"Hey!" she greeted with a big smile. "You left your Spanish book in class and we needed it for homework," she handed him his book.

"Thanks."

"Yeah, so I'll see you in class," she blew a kiss as she let herself out.

"Zayn, I want to talk to you," his mom walked into the hall. "Oh. Hello, Vanessa. When did you get here?" She smiled.

"I, um-"

"She thought she forgot something when she was here the last time," Zayn covered for me.

"Oh, okay. Zayn, I want to talk to you in the other room really quick." Zayn followed her, saying he would be right back. I stood there awkwardly waiting for him. They came back from the kitchen a couple of minutes later.

"I should get going," I pointed my thumb to the door.

"Vanessa, you don't want to stay for dinner?" His mom asked.

"Well-"

"Yeah, Ness, stay for dinner," Zayn pleaded.

"Sure, I guess."

"Good. Spaghetti and meatballs tonight," his mom smiled as she walked away. I took a deep breath, thinking of how many carbs and calories there were.

"Hey, you alright?" Zayn grabbed my hand.

I nodded my head, "Yeah." I smiled. "Let's go watch tv or something." We headed towards the living room, as we both plopped on the couch. "Let's play twenty questions, that's always fun. You go first," I said.

"Okay, uh, how many kids do you want?" He asked.

"None." I answered.

"Why?"

"That's a second question, my turn. Would you ever quit smoking for someone you love?"

"Yes. Why don't you want kids?"

"Because the world is cruel and I don't want my children to experience it. Are you still in love with Celine?"

"No. Are you okay?"

"Yes."

"You can't lie, Vanessa," he reminded.

I sighed, "No. Have you ever been in love?"

"Yeah," he grinned.

"What's wrong?"

There was a long pause before I answered. "Everything. Have you ever liked someone else while dating someone?"

"Yeah. Have you ever lied to me?" He questioned.

I groaned. He was such an ass. "Why are you asking questions you know the answer to?"

"Can't answer questions with questions," he mimicked me from earlier.

I rolled my eyes, "Yes, Zayn. Have you ever lied to me?" I retorted.

"Nope. What did you lie to me about?" He smirked as if he knew the answer.
-

-

-

"Thank you for dinner, Mrs. Malik," I smiled as I slung my backpack on my shoulder, waving as Zayn and I stepped out of the house. After Zayn asked me what I lied to him about, I told him I didn't want to play anymore and before he could protest, Mrs. Malik called us for dinner. He then introduced me as his girlfriend to all of his family. "So what's your masterplan to bring me home without them seeing you?" I questioned as we walked to his motorcycle.

"Easy, I'll just drop you off a couple houses down and stay there until I see you get into the house safely. That's how I snuck into your room that one night," he explained.

He pulled up to my house about ten minutes later. "I'll see you later, babe,"

I gave him a quick goodbye kiss as I started for my house. Once I got to my step, I glanced back, and just like he said, he would watch me to make sure I got into the house safely.

"Did you take care of the situation?" Ricky asked when I stepped through the door.

"Yes," I lied through gritted teeth.

"Good. You won't have to suffer the consequences then."

I trudged upstairs to my room, pulling my scale out from underneath my bed. My heart sunk to the bottom of my stomach when I saw the number. I gained five pounds. I knew I shouldn't have stayed for dinner. What was I thinking? Now that I had been dating Zayn, I had let myself go. Shit. Damnit. "There's always a way to get rid of some of that food," a taunting voice whispered in my head. No, I promised myself only one time. Once. That's it.

But again, I found myself gripping a familiar toothbrush.