Where It All Began

Okay, I'll admit it. Stepping through a wall to 9 & 3/4 was unnerving, but I have a feeling that an enchanted wall is going to be the least of my worries.

I looked up at the sign above me, fiddling with the handle of my suitcase.
It read:        Platform 9 3/4
                  Hogwarts Express

It was hard to contain my excitement at the thought of being able to go to Hogwarts. Not only was this a chance to see more of the wizarding world, but it also gave me time away from my overprotective aunt. She had been that way since the death of my parents many years ago. I was rarely let out of her sights, much less allowed on trips. Aunt Muriel could be harsh, but I know she cares about me.

It was an absolute miracle that I was able to convince her to let me come to Hogwarts, but I guess she couldn't argue with my logic. Was I nervous about going to one of the top wizarding schools in the world? Of course I was, but I sure as heck wasn't going to tell anyone else that.

I was abruptly thrown from my thoughts, when a whistle blew. The scarlet train was ready to leave, and I wasn't on it. I quickly pushed forward, scrambling to get onto the train, when someone bumped into me from behind.
"I'm terribly sorry, you okay?"
"Yeah, fine, thanks." I looked up at the boy. He was average height with dark straight hair and round glasses. Harry Potter. Well, that didn't take long. I felt kind of bad for him. He was about to be the talk of the whole school and he probably didn't even know why. I know how overwhelming that can be.

Walking down the train together, I asked,
"First year?" Even though I already knew the answer.
"Yeah. Didn't even know Hogwarts existed until I got my letter."
"Raised by muggles, then." It wasn't really a question, but he answered anyway.
"Yep." Harry sat down in an empty compartment. "Join me?"
"Sure, just let me change into my robes first. Be right back."

I made it to the restroom, and put my robes on before examining myself in the mirror. You couldn't even see the special stitching job I did on the back. Good. I shifted the robes to sit more evenly on my shoulders. They were a bit big, but not uncomfortably so.

Stepped out in the hall, I saw a flustered trolley lady wheeling an empty cart away. Weird. Too busy watching her go past, I didn't see the boy until we collided into each other. He was pale with platinum blonde hair. Oh look, a Malfoy. My mother apparently had a run in with Lucius Malfoy a long time ago, and I had seen plenty of pictures of the Malfoy family in the paper. From the Malfoy's description, this was definitely one of them.

"Watch where you're going, sweetheart." He glared at me, obviously meaning that word in the most derogatory sense possible.
"Oh I'm sorry," I made obviously fake puppy dog eyes. "Did I mess up your hair?" Feeling the sarcasm dripping from my statement, he backed me into the wall. His icy blue eyes met my hard green ones. I stared at him, mentally drilling holes through his head.
"Listen up, because I'm only going to say this once." I kept my face emotionless as I spoke. "Let me go right now, and I might not break any of your limbs."
"Make me." I chuckled at his response, letting a wicked grin spread across my face.
"Wrong answer, sweetheart." Before he had time to react, I kneed him in between the legs, letting him fall to the floor, before twisting his arm behind his back. He groaned in pain. Leaning forward, I whispered in his ear.
"Don't underestimate, Malfoy. Next time I might not let you off so easy."

I stood, brushed my robes off, and kept walking, leaving Malfoy to groan on the floor. Passing by a compartment of 3rd years, I noticed a chocolate frog fly pass their window. I cocked an eyebrow in confusion. A frizzy, brown haired witch accidentally knocked into me, going down the hallway. What is it with people bumping into me today?
"Sorry, but have you seen a toad?"
"Um... no?"
"Too bad, some boy named Neville seems to have lost his."
"Hm, hope you find it."

Finally making it back to Harry's compartment, I saw another boy and an insane amount of sweets.
"Dang, Harry. Did you have to go all out?"
"Oh, hi!" He started slightly at the sight of me.
"Who are you?" I ignored the other boy's rude comment.
"Right. Ron, this is..." Harry looked at me quizzically. I realized Harry didn't know my name. Oops.
"Venessa. Venessa Areborne." (Air-ah-born) I stuck out my hand to Ron, who brushed chocolate off of his fingers before shaking it. "But you can call me Ven."

After sitting with the boys chatting for what seemed like hours, the train began slowing down.

We had arrived at Hogwarts.