Chapter Thirty: Walk of Shame

"What are you two doing in here?" Mrs. Jones asked when she opened the door. She looked at us from head to foot. "Never mind. I know what you were doing." She seemed thoroughly disgusted. "Riley, why would you think this is acceptable?"

Riley scrambled to get out of the SUV. "I'm sorry, Mom. We were just talking." At first, anyway.

"I wasn't born yesterday," Mrs. Jones said through clenched teeth. Another stern look, and I slid out of the car, though I really only wanted to disappear. This was so embarrassing. "I do not have time for this." She went around to the passenger side and opened the front door before retrieving a box of cookies. "Don't try this again." The look she gave to Riley said they'd talk later and it probably wouldn't be pleasant.

As we walked back to the crowd, his mom right behind us, I wondered if this was the true meaning of the "walk of shame." I'd heard the expression in movies and my mom mention it from time to time, but this felt every bit the part. I was so embarrassed...and nothing had really happened. Yeah, I'd be even more embarrassed if my parents or Bri's mom had caught us, but not so horrible in the grand scheme of things.

A slow song started playing, and Riley held me close as we moved in step to the beat. His mom watched us, her mouth still pressed into a straight line.

"Your mom hates me," I whispered, not that she could hear me over the music.

"No, she's just disappointed in me." He bent to my ear. "She'll be over it by tomorrow."

"I hope so, but I think it might take more time than that." I felt her attention on us from several feet away, so I put a little distance between Riley and me. "Would you mind if I caught a ride home from someone in Odam?"

Riley laughed. Then, when he saw I was serious, he said, "Don't be afraid of her. I know a lot of the girls are intimidated by her, but she likes you."

"Not as much as she did twenty minutes ago." Still, she was staring at us. I gulped. "I'd just feel better if I got a ride from someone else. I'm sure Kandi, Tiffani, or Tim could give me a ride."

He tensed. "I don't want you to ride with Tim. My mom'll give you a ride."

"I don't want your mom to take me home." I was adamant about it. I just couldn't deal with it. "Tim is completely harmless. He's my friend; that's it." I considered adding a bit about Chelsea, but I thought better of it. No need to drag her back into it.

He shook his head. "You keep saying that, but I don't trust him."

I met his gaze. "But do you trust me? Because that's what it comes down to."

Riley studied me for what felt like minutes but was probably several long seconds. Then, nodding, he said, "Yeah. I do trust you. You've given me no reason not to when I'm sure you have your doubts about me."

I touched my hand to his cheek, his stubble scratching my hand. "We're good, Riley." I looked over at his mom. She was talking to one of the other cheerleading coaches, but her attention was still on us. "Let's go mingle before your mom starts having neck trouble."

Chelsea was the only one in the group who didn't seem pleased that I was being welcomed by the others. She kept her distance and eventually walked away with another group of friends. I had no doubt I'd need to watch out for her, but I wanted to extend that same courtesy to Riley. He wasn't my boyfriend yet. We weren't exclusive. Mom always said I didn't like sharing as a little kid, and I really didn't like it now, especially when it came to boys.

Tiffani and Brielle went on and on about how they thought for sure I'd win queen this year. One of the sophomores on student council confirmed that our class's results were the closest in school history. The queen was decided by one vote, and I'd been in second place. The bitterness almost crept in as I realized that Bri and Caleb's votes or non-votes had likely swayed it in Tiffani's direction, but I pushed the thought away. I'd made it in when I thought I didn't have a prayer. And I'd gained so many friends since the interviews. Who would've thought that it all would lead to this?

When Tim came over to talk to Kandi, I pulled him aside. "Is the offer of a ride home still available?"

He nodded. "For you, anytime. There's a party in the main gazebo tonight. Would you be interested in going?"

The party sounded like a blast. "I don't think my parents would be happy about it." Riley wouldn't be either, especially if word got out (and it most certainly would) that I'd shown up with Tim.

"If you change your mind, I'm only a text away. I'll gladly walk to your house to pick you up."

The rest of the time at the bonfire was great. I spoke with students I hadn't talked to in a couple of years. I hung out with Riley, Tiffani, and Kandi. Riley was sure to give me a peck on the forehead as he walked me to Tim's mom's car. And I went home, wishing I could go to the party but knowing it would only cause trouble. Besides, I wanted to look good for Homecoming and that meant getting my beauty sleep.