Chapter Twenty-four: Her Mother's Daughter

The windshield wipers swished as Mom pulled into the parking lot in front of Bri's apartment building. Bri ran out first, her jacket over her head. Her mom held a small umbrella and stepped gingerly along the sidewalk.

"Good morning, Patti," my mom said as Bri's mom climbed into our minivan.

"Thank you for driving us." Bri's mom shook out the umbrella and then closed the door. "Would you mind if we checked out the thrift shop first?"

Bri and I looked at each other like we were deer in the headlights. I started sending thoughts of "Please don't make us go there" to Mom, but it wasn't like she could read my mind. Unless she'd suddenly developed the talent overnight. This time, I shouted it in my head.

"How about on the way back?" Mom said. "They don't open until ten and I'd like to be in Frankfurt at ten so we can beat the rush. Last time, I drove around for half an hour trying to find a spot big enough for the van. We should be able to be back before it closes."

Bri and I let out simultaneous sighs of relief. Mom had spared us for the time being. Erica just smiled.

Bri didn't really talk, but her demeanor had defrosted a little since yesterday. I'd avoid talking about Homecoming and shopping would be good for both of us if we could convince her mom to buy before we went to the thrift store. By day's end, we'd be back to normal.

"So, did Bri tell you Emily made it onto the Homecoming court?" my mom asked. Was she trying to sabotage my friendship with Bri?

Bri tensed as her mom said, "I'm so glad Briana doesn't care about stuff like that. Ten years from now, no one will remember who was on the Homecoming court, but Briana will have all those ribbons from Cross country and probably less college debt from winning a scholarship too. And she's so hardworking." She looked back at Bri. "I'm lucky to have Bri for a daughter."

Did Patti even know her daughter? Did she seriously think Bri hadn't campaigned hard to make the court? Or was this her way of propping Bri up?

"Your are lucky. Bri is such a fast runner," Mom said, "but I'm glad Emily made it onto court. This is her only chance, because when we move, no one will know her during her senior year of high school, so I want her to make the most of her time here."

Patti shrugged. "Bri says it's rigged. I guess the student council teacher's son has made it ever year, so I wouldn't put much stock in it."

If it was rigged, how had Caleb made it? People could say I made it because I was Riley's Homecoming date, but no one knew we were going together until voting had already been happening for a few days.

The rest of the ride to Frankfurt consisted of idle conversation between my mom and Bri's. They talked about the upcoming Halloween party for the unit families and all the drama with the family readiness group. We soon arrived at the mall, Mom muttering under her breath each time she came close to scraping the van's sides against the walls of the underground parking lot. Mom had made a good call on the time. The lot was mostly empty, and we were able to park near the elevators. She climbed out and circled the van. When no curse words or disgust came, I knew we were in the clear. She hadn't damaged the car at all.

We started shopping in one of the mall stores. It didn't have a huge selection of semiformal dresses, but Erica, Bri, and I were each able to find two dresses to try on. The baby blue skater dress was beautiful on Bri, but her mom balked at the 125-euro price tag, so we moved on to a department store.

Erica tried on a burgundy empire line dress with tulle roses at the bottom of the bodice. As she twirled around, the skirt flaring out, we knew this was her dress. Bri found a similar dress in baby blue, but her mom shook her head. The dress was too revealing. Mom paid for Erica's dress, and we walked to a small dress shop that was known for its reasonable prices.

There, Patti held up a black cocktail dress that looked like something a flapper would've worn a century ago. It was pretty meh, but Bri nodded and continued shopping. She found a dusty rose shift dress that met her mom's approval for price and appearance.

As the cashier scanned the price, Patti asked, "What is the return policy for this dress?" Bri cringed with embarrassment.

The cashier gave a weird look. "This is a special occasion dress. They cannot be returned."

"You wouldn't give a refund if I brought it back today before the shop closes?"

Bri shrank a few inches behind her mom.

The cashier pushed her wireframe glasses up her ski-ramp nose. "If you find something else that you like, I'll give a refund before seventeen hundred." 5:00.

Patti smiled. "Okay, we'll take it...and hopefully not be back today."

We had one store left in Frankfurt, and I was the only one without a dress. At this rate, I'd be buying from the thrift store if I didn't find something soon.

The sales associate frowned when she saw us walk in already holding two dresses, but she quickly rushed to me and asked for my preferences. I really didn't have a preference other than to look incredible just in case I was voted in as queen.

"Are you a 32 or a 34?" the gray-haired woman said.

"I'm a size two," I replied.

"Okay, let's try both. A 32 might be too tight in the bust." She pulled two black dresses from the rack. "Which color do you like?"

"I love black, but I also love the lighter colors."

In a matter of seconds, I had about fifteen dresses in every shade and style. And half an hour later, I narrowed it down to a lacy, light pink skater dress and a lilac purple strapless dress.

Bri rolled her eyes as I held up the two dresses. Apparently, I wasn't supposed to choose pink because she had, but the two dresses were very different shades and styles. No one could mistake us for showing up in the same dress.

"I really liked the navy-blue halter dress," Patti offered. "It doesn't send the wrong message."

My mom rolled her eyes. "Em, get the one you want, but we need to hurry so we can make it to the thrift store before it closes."

I held both dresses up to me and looked in the mirror. "I'm going with the light pink. That's the dress I feel the prettiest in." And I wouldn't have to worry falling out of it.

We scarfed hamburgers from Five Guys as we walked back to the van and made it to the thrift store about fifteen minutes before closing. Patti held up four dresses in Bri's size.

"Try these on. With this bag sale, you can probably buy all four of these for ten dollars." She pushed them into Bri's hands. "You and Erica should try some on, too."

Bri's gulp was audible. "Will I have to take the dress back?"

"It depends on what your dad says, but it won't hurt to have another dress to choose from." Her mom motioned for her to go to the dressing room.

Bri walked out with a strapless black dress and a sweater to cover her shoulders. As soon as we climbed into the van, her mom was on the phone talking to her dad about returning the dress. She was still talking when we dropped them off, so I had no idea which dress Bri would wear.