bunny takes a tumble

Magsimula sa umpisa

"No," he whimpers, tears welling in his eyes before he can stop them.

This was not how the night was supposed to go– how can Bunny protect him now? She looks so helpless down there, and what if she's hurt? That fall must have hurt her...

George's hand is on his shoulder in an instant. "What happened Dream?" He asks worriedly, his soft tone making tears overflow down warm cheeks.

Dream wills his gaze away from the floor and turns it to George, shaking his head as he folds his knees up to his chest underneath his duvet.

"Why're you crying, my love?" George's voice is equally mild and urgent, desperately trying to understand what got Dream so suddenly upset.

He rubs big circles into Dream's back to try and soothe him, but the boy only hides his face in his knees, wetting the cotton of George's bedsheets with more tears.

"I d'opped hew," he whines wetly. "I made Bunny fall down an'– an' get huwt," his words are jumbled between small sobs and muffled by the duvet, but George somehow manages to catch onto what he's trying to say.

Bunny; that's the name of Dream's plushie.

Still keeping a hand on the blond's back, George leans over him and, as expected, he spots the grey plushie on the floor. He brings her up gently and brushes her off as he sits back down next to the curled-up little.

"Bunny's right here, baby," he tells him softly, moving his hand to sandy curls, brushing them away from Dream's forehead as a way to encourage him to look up.

The crying stops in a heartbeat, and Dream sniffles as he shifts just enough so he can peer over the top of his knees to see if George is telling the truth

He is, of course.

"Bunny," Dream mumbles, hiccuping as he recovers from the sudden pause to his crying.

"Yeah," George muses quietly. "Your bunny is just fine. Here," he reaches her out to Dream who slowly lets his knees down and wipes his cheeks off with the backs of his hands, before accepting the plushie gratefully.

As soon as Bunny is in his grasp, he is quick to clutch her to his chest, just barely succeeding to fight the urge to start crying again. He just feels so bad about what happened, he should never have put her in such a risky spot.

He glances up at George with a worried frown. "Is all my faul'," he voices quietly, "I din' pay attention so she got huwt an' so now she won' p'otect me f'om bad dweams anymore..."

George cups his face and wipes soft thumbs under his eyes to catch any stray tears before they get a chance to travel any further.

"Your bunny is very strong, baby. She can handle a little tumble," he reassures. "And besides, she knows you didn't let her fall on purpose."

Dream is not so convinced. "But she don' wike me anymore, I jus' know it," he insists with a whine, a couple of tears managing to sneak past his attempts at not crying anymore.

"Darling, Bunny still loves you all the same," George wipes the tears away again. "The bed's not nearly tall enough to hurt her, look–" he reaches out to the Bunny in Dream's arms and tilts her little head up at him for him to see,"–not a scratch. Bunny is completely fine, my love."

Dream considers it for a moment. Bunny does look fine, nothing different than usual about her eyes or heart-nose or her long ears. He looks back up at George, "P'omise?"

"Pinky promise." George holds out his pinky and Dream is quick to link his own with it.

"An' she still guawd me when I sleep? F'om all de monstews an' nightmawes?"

"Yes and yes," George confirms with a smile, shaking their pinkies to seal the promise.

Dream echoes him, "Yes an' yes."

He looks back down from George's gaze onto his beloved Bunny, hugging her close to his cheek like he always does at bedtime. Soft and fleecy on his skin, reminding him of how tired he is.

George kisses his cheek and then his forehead and helps him lie down again, this time facing inwards on the bed with Bunny close to his chest so there is no danger of any more falling.

Dream is confident that she can cast her spell from here as well, she doesn't need to be on his pillow for it to work. It is magic, after all.

He feels a heavy kind of sleepy now, probably from all the crying, but it feels comfy nonetheless. He sniffles a bit as he scoots even closer to George's side, wanting to stay close to him (and the middle of the bed).

"Otay, ni-ni Gogy," he mumbles.

"Night-night, Dreamie baby," George coos, carding through his hair to ease him to sleep.

"And night-night Bunny," he adds, not missing the little smile that curves on Dream's lips as he floats away into good, protected dreams.

1394 words

watching wilbur's lore stream rn omg :0

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*