new beginnings

A few days went by after the Beaumonts moved to Avonlea. The family's arrival had caused quite a stir in the small town, everyone questioned why such a prestigious and well known family would move all the way from France to old Avonlea. Soon enough, gossip and foolish theories started spreading around the streets of the rather unfriendly town. Some people claimed they were thrown out of the country, while others said they were escaping some sort of scandal. It did not help decreasing the gossip that the family had not been seen in public since they arrived.

However, the townspeople were soon excited remembering that the grand picnic was being held by the end of the week. Everyone would finally get to know the famous family. Meanwhile in Beaumont Manor, anxiety and stress filled the walls of the grand house.

"Julia, would you please calm down and take a sit" suddenly asked an annoyed Paul Beaumont, not even bothering to look up from his book as he talked to his wife. Julia stopped pacing and tunred to his husband, giving him an incredulous look.

"As a matter of fact I cannot calm down and take a sit. Because unlike you, I do care about our family's image and what people try to do to tarnish it." Charlotte scoffed at her mother's words as she, very much like her father, read a book and not even bothered to look at the woman. This caused the elder women to give a glare in her daughter's direction.

"No one is trying to tarnish it." replied the man finally looking up, "These are only townspeople being townspeople. They gossip when something interesting happens, until it dies down and they wait for another thing to gossip about." He added calmly as he put his book down on the table. The man started walking towards his wife and grabbed her arms as he slightly rubbed them. "We will be okay."

Julia sighed and let her husband embrace her. After a few moments she spoke again, "Yes. Yes of course, you are right. We will be okay. On this ridiculous picnic they are doing, we will show up and make them see that they shall respect us." The woman later turned to where Margaret was sitting and gestured at her, "You, Margaret, will of course meet with the acquantaince of Mr Brook and that will put the rumors to rest." Margaret nodded in agreement as Julia walked back towards the couch and plumped back, still remaining graceful as ever.

Charlotte, however, did not simply agreed and nodded. She was growing more and more annoyed with her mother when she first started ranting and pacing. But the fact that she talked about her sister as if she were a bait hanging on a hook waiting to be devoured by the town made her annoyingess become anger. The blonde stood from her sit and made sure to make noise for the family to note her.

"I think this whole thing is stupid." The girl said as her voice was filled with seriousness, though not as serious as the look on her face was. "It is stupid enough we had to move to this town. But forcing Meg to marry, and then using the engagement to shut rumors just because you want to appear as this perfect woman with a perfect family to society, which I can assure you none of those things are true. That is selfish and foolish."

"Charlotte." Her father warned giving her a look but remaining calm anyway.

"Oh but of course, how could I ever forget that you are always selfish and foolish." Charlotte continued, ignoring her father's demands.

"That is it!" Julia yelled, before slapping harshly her daughter in the cheek out of pure anger. Charlotte quickly raised her hand and cupped her now red cheek.

"I have had it with you and your ignorant complaints. You will learn to respect me, I am your mother for heavens sake!" The women paused for a second and started walking to her daughter.

"Im not forcing your sister to marry nor I am using her. I am merley helping her assure her future with all of the luxuries your father and I have provided the both of you with. Which is why I think it's time for me to help you do the same." The woman made anonther long pause examinating her daughter from head to toes.

"You are lucky you have the status and looks, otherwise with your stupid attitude you would never find a husband." Her mother said to the girl in a threatening whisper that it would barley be audiable if she wasnt paying attention. However, Charlotte was paying more attention than ever to every word her mother uttered. This was clear to the women as she looked at the horrored look in the girl's face.

Julia turned around and walked towards the door of the huge room, making her way out. Just before she was out of sight she turned around one last time.

"You will start school on Monday. It might as well work for you to be known by the boys of the town. It will be a new beginning for all of us." With that the woman walked away and out of sight from the rest of the family. Leaving a petrified and breathless Charlotte, she was standing in the center of the drawing room not being able to do or say anything, so she simply looked around one of the many drawing rooms of the house, which now seemed rather intimidating.

Margaret, as well, didn't know what to say. The elder sister finnally rushed towards Charlotte and embraced her younger sister in a tight and comforting hug.

Paul hesitated if he should find his wife and try to reason with her or comfort his daughter. After some minutes of thinking and hesitation, he walked to where his daughters where standing. He cleared his throat making Meg understand she had to leave the room. She sent an apologetic half smile and walked out of the room.

Now both father and daughter, were standing silent in the middle of the room for a while. Paul looking for words and Charlotte processing everythung that had just happened. After a while Paul finnally broke the silence.

"If you had just listened to me when I warned you to stop none of this would've happened." He said in a dissapointed tone as his daughter slowly looked up with tears in her eyes. Nonetheless, the man stared at his sad and scared daughter deciding the lecture on her attitude was better for another time.

He awkwardly wrapped an arm around Charlotte and gave her a kiss on the top of her head. Charlotte abrubtly hugged her father as tightly as possibly and shut her eyes close. Paul was taken a back by this, but slowly hugged Charlotte back.