16. I am being watched.

Comenzar desde el principio

          A familiar voice had me out of my trance, as I saw Livya wading through people to reach me.  For the first time since I came here, I felt a flicker of happiness. 

      “Sylvie!!”

        I jumped up from the chair I was sitting in and went straight into Livya’s arms.  Just as her warm familiar arms enclosed me, tears started to flow.  I sobbed and didn’t care that I had a group audience including the cops and Officer Jamie with his co-workers.  It just felt good to let go for once and not care about my kidnappers seeing me at my low.

      For the first time in days, I felt myself unravel. 

      Livya made soothing noises near my neck as I felt another set of hands wrap around us.  I peeked from under Livya’s shoulder to gaze at the warm brown eyes of her boyfriend.  He gave me a small smile which I couldn’t return, so I buried my face back under. 

         I heard Livya screech at someone behind me, “Officers, I will bring her tomorrow for a brief, now don’t disturb her.  I would like to take her home, now.  She needs to rest.”

        The officers replied something but I didn’t care about anything at that point. 

        But then when we started moving I was grateful.  Someone made me sit in the car and a seat belt stretched across my torso and a couple of minutes later the car took off.

         Warm hands took hold of my palm for the whole ride and I just looked out of the window.

         “We are here,”  Livya said tugging my hands. 

          I blinked my eyes to clear the cobwebs and got out of the car.  Some of the neighbors heard us come in and rushed to help me but Livya just shooed them away.

         Being back at the apartment didn’t bring the same comfort I once thought it would. No, it just made me miss the bed back at the fort and the shared bathroom.  Everything felt different.  I wanted to shout at the unfairness of it all. 

        “Syliva…”  Livy started, hesitant, unlike her character.  “Do you want to talk about what happened?”  When I turned to look at her, she immediately cringed.  I just shook my head in answer and escaped to the bathroom. 

          When I looked in the mirror, I cringed at myself.  I looked like a shell of a human being. 

         I honestly didn’t know what was happening but I felt like shit and not like myself. 

         After carefully removing the paper from my hoodie pocket, I grimaced at the ruined prints in some places, where water droplets reached them.  I folded them regardless and stuffed them inside my toiletry basket under the sink. 

          After removing my dress and shoes, I went into the shower which spat out water, which was only marginally warm, unlike the ones in the….  Anyway, water was water and when I felt clean enough, I tied myself with my neatly folded towel after I dried myself. 

        I took the old clothes in my hands and stared at them for a while.  I remembered how fed up I was to wear the same single dress which I hated from the absolute start but now I reminisced about the memories it brought.

         “Ugghhh.”  I yelled in irritation and threw the dress back on the counter and went out. 

         I saw both Livy and Michael sitting on the couch with a somber expressions on their faces.  I didn’t care that I was only in my fucking towel before I went inside the bedroom and locked it like muscle memory.