Chapter 3

I woke the next morning as ready as I would ever be. I chose the duck-egg blue and cream dress to wear, and after putting up my hair into a new style Isabel had shown me, and coating my face with more makeup than I would ever have dared to normally, the adrenaline in my veins seemed to have put me in an invincible mood.

"Good morning, Hannah" a broad Scottish accent greeted me as I reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Jack!" I smiled, turning. "It's a beautiful morning."

"Just like you, then" my fake fiancee replied, skimming down the stairs to meet me at the bottom.

"When can we leave for the Plaza, Jack?" I pleaded, batting my eyelashes. "This little house is starting to cramp me."

We were literally inches away from each other. I thought Smart was going to reply as Jack, but he didn't, and as the moment dropped, I began to laugh.

"That was good" the Detective Inspector praised. "I reckon we could fool anyone."

"We don't need to fool everyone" I corrected. "Just the people at the Plaza. Breakfast?"

"Breakfast" Smart agreed. "Come on."

We settled ourselves in the kitchen, and Julia plated up some eggs and toast for us. Conversation was limited, but I didn't mind. I was the first to finish, and was drumming my fingers nervously on the table.

"You're going to have to cut that out before we get to the Plaza" Smart pointed out.

"I know" I sighed. "It's just nerves."

"I know" Smart repeated sympathetically.

Julia made up our sendoff party. In the cover story, she had been my old nanny, and I had insisted we pay her a visit. How anyone in Brighton was supposed to see us come out of that house and remember us for long enough to recognize us again at the Plaza, and be suspicious enough to ask questions, was beyond me. Still, despite my misconceptions I played the part, and soon Smart and I were sitting on a rather hot train, on our way back to London. Smart had warned me beforehand not to drop my pretense at any point unless he did, until either we made our escape on the train to Scotland, or, more worryingly, I made my escape alone on the train to Cardiff.

"Jack" I whined. "Do open the window, it's frightfully hot in here. Please."

Smart smiled knowingly at me, stood up, and did as I had asked.

"Thank you" I said sweetly.

"Slave driver, you are" Smart teased.

"You know I don't mean it!" I protested playfully. The reason for this wordplay was that we were sharing a carriage with an old lady, who seemed very interested in us.

"So where are you both off to?" she now asked.

"London" I smiled excitedly, looking up at Smart for help.

"We're staying at the Plaza Majestic Hotel for a week or so" Smart explained.

"The Plaza Majestic?" the little old lady repeated. "Well, isn't that a coincidence? I'm heading there myself. Just for a couple of days, mind. Have you been before?"

"No" I shook my head. "I'm very excited, though. Have you been before?"

"Once, dearie. A very long time ago. I was but a little girl then" the old lady replied, with a twinkle in her eye.

"It's going to be perfect" I sighed happily, again looking over at Smart.

"Oh!" the old lady said suddenly, and I figured she was just twigging on to what I had been hinting at.