Chapter Eight

AN: Please read the authors note at the end because it includes important information!!!

In life, everything has an opposite. It could be its other half, its other side. But, in the end, the two things aren't always the same.

There are rights, wrongs, ups, downs, lefts, rights, days and nights, and truths and lies. There is the sun and the moon. Then, there is Kara and Aru.

Do they fall in the category of being the same or are they opposites?

They're both the daughter of the Sleeper, or so Kara thinks. They also share a mother, Ms. Krithika Shah. And, they both wield forms of light. They both wield light, so therefore, they must be the same, right?

Wrong.

Light is where the two sisters fall into separate categories. It seems crazy that something so similar can be so different.

Aru's light was produced by lightning; after all, she is the daughter of Indra. Her light lit up the dark heavens when clouds filled the sky's and rain poured down on the Earth. Vajra sent out tendrils of light that could electrocute people if Aru wasn't careful.

Kara's light, however, is the form of light that breaks though the clouds that nurtured Aru's light. People cheered when they saw her type light. When people went outside for a daily jog, they appreciated the source of light that came from the sun.

When thunder boomed and lightning struck, people prayed for the power to come back on if the unfortunate weather circumstances occurred for it to go out in the first place. People prayed for the sun to be out later that day, or possibly the next.

And that is why the Sleeper sought Kara's gift, Sunny: the weapon thats light can shine through the darkest of times and the tines of the trident that could break through some of the toughest material.

That is how they both got where they were. One sister close to the nectar, the other only following a trail.

•••

"C'mon, Kara. They are on our scent. They will be here soon," the Sleeper urged.

"I can only work so fast! The Devas hid this for a reason, and they hid it well!" Kara snapped, Sunny flickering in her hand.

"Do not raise your voice at me, young lady," he responded in a stern tone. "I am your father, and a daughter should not speak to a parent that way."

'He's not your father,' a voice said in Kara's head.

To Kara, it sounded familiar. It sounded like... like one of her old 'friends'. One of the people whom she had betrayed when she used the astra.

"I wouldn't know because I have no previous memory of my parents," Kara said, continuing to speak in her tone.

"They were abusive. Why can't you get that through your pea brain?!"

"I wouldn't know if they were abusive! I have nothing to go off of! I should be able to decide that!"

Suyodhana took a step toward Kara. "Daughter, I am sorry for the tone in which I spoke to you in. I did not mean what I said. I am just upset with your sisters actions the other night."

"She had every right to act that way. You tricked her. You tricked me."

"I did no such thing."

"You promised me they would be safe. You promised she would be safe, and you didn't keep your end of that promise. So, who is to say I won't keep to mine of helping you with this?"