Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

Evelyn started to smile to herself.

"What's got you so pleased?"

"You told Porco. You talked to him about her."

"Yeah so?"

"I just said you don't really talk about her to anyone and now you just freely admitted that you talked to Porco about her."

"It's different with him."

"I bet."

You ignored her last comment and decided to go up to the attic to grab a box. You took the box into Evelyn's room where she was seated at her desk. She spun around in her chair a few times while you opened the box.

"Dad said this is box of her things she left behind that he couldn't bring himself to throw away in case we ever wanted to look through it one day," You whispered which sounded loud in the quiet house, "Let's make that day today."

Evelyn nodded and sat down next to you. The two of you looked through the photos in the box. Some were of your mother and father in high school when they had met. Some were of her when she was younger. There were a few pieces of jewelry and some articles of her clothing. Some old makeup and handbags. Even as the two of you looked through all of your mother's possessions, you couldn't piece together a complete picture of your mother. These photos were from years ago, surely she looked different now. She looked happy in a lot of the photos but that couldn't be everything there was to know about her personality. Your phone lit up, an incoming call from your dad.

"Hello," You answered his call and put him on speaker.

"Hey Sweetie, my meeting ended early and I'm back at my hotel so I thought I'd called to check in on you girls," He sounded happy.

"We're doing fine. Actually dad there's something we wanted to talk to you about. Do you have the time?"

"Yeah of course. Is there something wrong? Do I need to come home?"

"No, nothing like that. It's just well um-"

"What she wants to say is can you talk to us about mom? What she was like?"

You heard your father take a deep breath before answering, "I can do that. This conversation is long overdue. I'm sorry girls. I've made peace with your mom leaving a long time ago but there was a time that I was angry and hurt and I didn't want to talk about her not just for my sake but for yours too. I didn't want to get mean or say something nasty. I wanted you to form your own opinions of her. Let her actions speak for themselves. I didn't want my words to influence you."

"We understand. Right Evelyn?" You glanced at her.

She pursed her lips for moment, pretending to think it about it, "We get it."

"So what do you want to know first?"

"What's the full story of how you met?"

"Well as you two already know we went to high school together. I was in the year above her and I was friends with her older sister. During a weekend in the fall, my friends and I had gone to the amusement park and your aunt had brought your mother along. At some point your mother realized she lost her wallet and I helped her look for it. As I helped her, we started talking to each other and making each other laugh. We realized how much we had in common. By the time we found the wallet, we had long the rest of the group. But we didn't care, we had such a great time just the two of us that we did our own thing until it was time to go home. I dropped her off and walked her to her door where I asked to take her out on a second date. We both went in for a kiss but her sister opened the door and pulled her inside before our lips touched."