L. GOLD

CHAPTER FIFTYGold‿︵‿︵‿︵

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

CHAPTER FIFTY
Gold

(PRESENT)

The gunshot echoed through the basement.

The group frantically tried to work together to pull John B back up the well. Avery regretted looking over her shoulder as soon as she spotted the shadowed figure sneaking down the stairs. She let out another string of curse words and pleads, desperately pulling on the rope until her palms started to bleed.

"She's blind" Avery overheard Kiara pant.

The blonde watched the two girls make a run for it and dropped the rope at the sight of John B's hands grabbing the shallow wall of the well. Avery took a deep, shaky breathe before bolting for it. Unfortunately, Ms Crain sensed her sudden movement and swung the gun around, aimlessly shooting in the general direction she stood facing.

"Go! Go!" Pope yelled. Avery gasped at the sudden and tough touch, being scooped under her friend's arm. She let Pope drag her out from the basement with JJ closely behind them.

In moments they reached the wall, Pope pushed the girl forward to encourage her to follow Kiera and Sarah. She fumbled a little as she climbed, feeling adrenaline rushing through her system. As soon as her feet hit the ground, she didn't hesitate to throw herself into the van.Avery stuck her head out of the window on passengers side, her hair blowing frantically in the breeze and into her face. JJ had hit the gas and the Twinkie was picking up speed, making her heart thump harder.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait!" A voice yelled after them. She awkwardly pushed her hair out her face to get a better look at the dark figure running to catch up with them.

"Johnny! Come on! Come on!" She yelled, her lips twitching up into a smile. Avery smacked the metal door and continued to shout with her friends, encouraging John B to run a little faster.

The sound of the side door sliding shut cause Avery to twirl around in her seat to see John B covered in muck from head to toe. She was about to reach out to touch him but quickly retracted her hand as soon as the smell of sewage wafted under her nose. She scrunched up her nose and let out a laugh, relieved that they had escaped.

While everyone bubbled with adrenaline, talking over each other and letting the fear disperse, Avery looked down at John B. Her eyes scanned him and she was glad to get nothing but mud on him, he hadn't got injured or worse. Feeling her body tense slightly at the sight of a small gold patch in his hands, she gasped quietly.

"No, you didn't!" Sarah exclaimed, also noticing the bar of gold in John B's hand. This caught the attention of everyone else almost immediately.

"I did!" John B screamed, smiled widely.

"Holy shit" Avery mumbled, slowly turning around in her seat. She stared at the road ahead of them, the sound of her friends screaming and chanting wasn't enough to drain her thoughts out. "It can't be true"

Before sunrise, the group had separated and planned to regroup in the morning to form a plan to capture all the gold. JJ's spirits were still rocket high. He spoke so fast that Avery had given up trying to follow, letting him talking about going full kook and what their next move should be. She was glad that he, or anyone else, had noticed her mood shifting. She plastered a smile every time one of her friends looked her way and avoided direct conversation, repeating everyones words.

The two arrived at Avery's house. The lights were off, signalling that her father was asleep and gave them a good chance at successfully sneaking in. She shushed JJ as they inched closer to the house, making him fumble and quickly quieten down, stalking behind her. They made it in through her open bedroom window and both flopped on the bed, cringing at it creaked under them.

"Hey," JJ whispered, turning his head to look over at his girl. His hand crept into hers, interlocking their fingers. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah" She replied, refusing to look back at him. She felt his hand lightly squeeze hers and it made her heart ache.

"Flower-"

She abruptly stood up, dropping his hand as she did. JJ was quick to sit up, taken back by the suddenness and was beginning to worry more. He watched her carefully, unsure what to do or say. For once, he wasn't able to read her and that terrified him.

"I need to tell you something," She blurted out, turning slowly on her heels to face him. He just nodded in response, showing her that he was listening. Avery took a deep breath, feeling her stomach twist, "and you can't tell the others. I was going to tell you all after Parcel Nine because I didn't want to believe that it could actually be a lead. I promise to tell them, I do and I will, just not now"

"Avery, you are scaring me" JJ honestly said, his tone was soft and full of concern.

She sighed and plonked herself down next to him, fiddling with her hands. "You remember when I told you the story of me leaving ?"

"Yeah. To find your mom" JJ mumbled, staring intently at her side profile.

"I didn't tell you the whole truth," Avery admitted. Those words weren't what he ever expected to come out from her mouth. "I went to find my mom, yes. Well, I never actually found her. Instead, I found something else"

Avery stood back up and wandered across the room. JJ's eyes were glued to her, watching her every move as she opened the wardrobe and crouched down to pull out a box. She picked it up and carried it back over to the bed, placing it besides him. He finally looked away from her and down at the box.

"Like I said," She whispered, staring at the tape recorder in her hands, "you can't tell anyone"