XIX. SERIOUS HOMBRES

CHAPTER NINETEENSerious hombres ‿︵‿︵‿︵

CHAPTER NINETEEN
Serious hombres

(PRESENT)

Her peaceful slumber was rudely ruined.

"DCS! I know you're in there!" A deep voice boomed. The front door rattled as a balled fist rapidly pounded against it.

Avery's eyes fluttered open at the unexpected outburst, a tingling feeling shot through her and she scowled quietly, shoving her head back into the pillow. Laying at her feet was John B, who completely forgot that she was laid top to tail with him on the plaid couch. He twisted his body to look up at the window above his head, feeling Avery's body shift with his movement.

A sudden crash made John B practically jump upwards. Avery let out a squeal, jolting with the brunet as she clung onto the arm of the furniture. She had subconsciously closed her eyes in fear, peeling them open to see a head of messy blond hair at the window. They both let out a breath of relief, making JJ laugh even harder.

"You should have seen your face. Your face was like–" He couldn't even finish his sentence as the laughter continued to roll off his tongue.

With a sigh, Avery reached behind her head to lift the pillow underneath her. She launched it at the window, startling her best friend as he yelped and stumbled back from the windowsill. John B lowly chuckled and nudged her knee with his own, making her smile goofily.

Last night, after finding the compass and splitting up, John B and Avery stayed up and spoke about Big John. She listened to her friend telling her about how everyone else thinks he was stuck in denial. Yet he believed that the compass came back to him for a reason, even Avery couldn't fully disagree, finding it wasn't some random coincidence. John B believed that she was still out there and alive, to be proven right, made it harder for him to think any differently about his father.

Coming out from the spare room, Avery wiggled on the cropped tank top over her head. She entered the living space where the boys were, spotting JJ rummaging through the cabinets that was starting to lack the bare necessities. He turned his head at the sound of her shuffling footsteps, his eyes dropping down a little as she wondered over, straightening her top and moving her hair over her shoulder.

"Eyes up here, Maybank" She mumbled, hooking a finger under his chin and nudged his jaw upwards as she passed him.

He awkwardly cleared his throat and bashfully looked away, "so, what's the plan?"

"We are going to talk to Ms Lana to figure this out" John B replied, fiddling with the compass in his hand.

"You really think that she's going to talk when her husband just drowned?" Avery titled her head, placing her palms against the counter and lifting herself up onto it.