II. MEMORIES

CHAPTER TWOMemories

CHAPTER TWO
Memories

(SIX MONTHS AGO)

The old black camcorder sat on the counter, staring back at him.

While attempting to clean the Chateau that he had neglected over the past few months, John B rediscovered Avery's old camcorder. At had taken him two days to pick it up and move it from its spot in the spare room. The last five minutes the brunet had tried to build up his courage to look through it. He hadn't got further than holding it while hovering the pad of his thumb over the power button.

About three summers ago, Avery's father gave her the camcorder. He had used it through a large portion of her childhood and recorded memories throughout her life, over time the time gaps grew longer. She loved it when she was younger, adoring the idea of moving memories that you can easily play back.

His thumb hovered over the power button again, this time having the courage to press it. A faint chirpy tune played as the small screen lit up, showing the wooden surface in front of it. He was leaned over the kitchen counter with the camcorder tightly in his hands, moving forward a little more as he pressed the gallery button.

A selection of videos popped up with little thumbnails. If he squinted, he could make out a few familiar faces and moments. There was a lot features of the Pogues, they brought the camcorder around with them when they were out, or just whenever they remembered to. John B couldn't remember the last time they did though, thinking back, he was growing convinced that they hadn't used it since Kiara left the group to take a Kook year.

"Hey, losers, I'm Avery!" Her voice came from the camcorder, a sound he hadn't heard a while. "It's the twenty first of June, two thousand and seventeen. I am fourteen, nearly fifteen"

"What are you doing?" His own voice spoke up. John B internally cringed at the sound of his young voice as he appear behind the blonde. In the video, he rested his chin on her shoulder and smiled up at the lens.

"I'm documenting memories" She beamed, her smile lighting up her whole face. He chuckled at her and gave the camera a wave.

Pope popped onto frame, leaning over Avery's shoulder on the opposite side and poked the lens, "this thing is so old, I'm surprised it's still working"

"Come on, I want to surf now," JJ appeared over John B's shoulder. The blond spotted the camera and wiggled himself past the brunet, making John B shuffle to the side as JJ took his spot next to her. "Hello, I'm JJ, the superior best friend. Okay, memory made. Can we surf now?"