XI. BOAT

CHAPTER ELEVENBoat

CHAPTER ELEVEN
Boat

(PRESENT)

Hurricane Agatha surely left her mark.

Avery stirred awake at the sound of the rooster singing, mumbling a string of curse words as she was peacefully enjoying her slumber. The hurricane created it's damage through the night, something Avery weirdly enjoyed. Listening to the rain and thunder worked as a lullaby for her. She laid on the pullout bed with JJ sprawled across on the other side, definitely drooling a little.

"Yo, JJ, Aves, you been outside?" John B appeared, wondering though the room. As he passed, he slapped the blond's bare back and noticed Avery sleepily shake her head in response.

"I have Polio, bro. I can't walk" JJ deadpanned, his voice was husky and mumbled as his face was squished up against the pillow.

Eventually, the two blonde's dragged themselves out of bed. Straightening up the muscle shirt that she took from JJ, Avery stretched herself out before shuffling outside to witness the mess left behind. She cringed as her eyes scanned over the yard, noticing the boat awkwardly placed on land and the huge knocked down tree.

"Agatha did some work, huh?" JJ's voice appeared. She felt his presence standing behind her, subconsciously nodding in response.

"Yeah, she did" John B answered, lifting and clumsily flinging a large branch out of the HSM Pogue.

"You know what I'm thinking?" Avery grinned, skipping down to join John B by the boat. JJ followed, smiling slightly at her sudden burst of energy. John B titled his head at her, waiting for her to continue as he sat on the edge of the boat. "The storm surge pushed all the crabs out of the marsh maze—"

"—All those drum are gonna chase the crab" John B finished her sentence, immediately catching into what she was thinking.

"What about the DCS? Wasn't that today?" JJ butted in, holding out a hand for Avery since he noticed the girl struggling to get up into the boat. He helped her with ease, reciprocating her toothy smile.

"There's no way they are getting on a ferry" Avery shook her head. She scooped up a handful of leafy debris and effortlessly chucked it out.

John B nodded in agreement with her, "Nah. Come on, think about it. It's God tellin' us to fish"

Preventing the risk of being seen by everyone, especially her father, while the boys worked on pushing the boat back onto the water, Avery left the Chateau and snuck through the back ways through town. She told her friend's to meet her by the last dock on the marsh, knowing that it was a safer option then going with them.