Chapter 7

Previously on Chapter 6

Eleven starts arguing with Max. Max claims because Heather was feeling sick. That's why she's bathing in the bathtub filled with ice. It just didn't make any sense. What was that flashing in Billy's eyes. I don't know what to think about it. I just know that it feels... familiar.

-Realization-

Y/N P.O.V

I got awaken from my deep sleep by the sound of Max's supercom as it makes a static sound. I let out a groan of annoyance. I can hear Lucas's voice. She picks it up and start yelling at it. She turns it off and slams it on the ground. I let out a sigh and turn to my side. The bed is surprisingly big for the three of us.

The phone starts to ring. "Oh you gotta be kidding me!" She said. She stands up and walks over to the phone. "Go away! We're trying to sleep!" She said. I prop myself up by my arms as I look at her. She's still talking to whoever it is. She hangs it up and turn to look at us.

"What's wrong, Max?" I asked. "We have to go..." she said. I let out a sigh and turn to look at Eleven. "El?" I said, shaking her awake. She opens her eyes and looks at me sleepily. I let out a giggle at how sleepy she looks. "Come on, sis... we have to go to Mike's" I said.

"Why? I thought we're suppose to ignore him" she said. "Yeah... that's true. But apparently they have something urgent to tell us. Come on, wake up!" I said, shaking her again. She lets out a sigh and sit up. We get up from the bed and start getting ready. They better have a good reason to bother us so damn early in the morning.

***

We make our way to Mike's basement. We open the door. Mike turns and sees us. "Y/N! I'm glad that you can come..." he said. "Just cut to the chase, shall we?" I said, cutting him off. He lets out a sigh and nods his head.

"I didn't think it was anything at first. I think it was just me who didn't want to believe. The first time I felt it, it was at The Day of The Dead" Will said. "The light went out that night too" Mike said. "And then I felt it again at the field. And again yesterday outside of Castle Byers" Will said.

"What does it... feel like?" Eleven said. "Do you know how you drop off on a rollercoaster?" He said. We all said yes, except for El. "It felt like it was sinking all at once. But this worse! It's like your body... was cold and you can't breathe. I felt it before... whenever he was close..." he said. "Whenever who's close?" Max said.

"The Mind Flayer..." he said. I froze at the mention of his name. I bit my lips and looks down. Could it be possible that HE's actually back? I close my eyes and think about the encounter with Billy. Something that flashes in his eyes. Now I know why it felt familiar. It really was him. But what should I tell the others? I'm gonna have to explain the whole story if I say a thing about this.

"Y/N and I closed the gate" Eleven said, snapping me out of my thought. "I know! But what if he never left? What if we locked him out here with us?" Will said.

Will grabs a paper and a crayon. "This is him... all of him..." he said, as he quickly draws out a shape that looks like him. I just stare at what he's drawing.

"That day at the field. Part of him attached itself to me..." he said. He runs his hand across his drawing, smearing it in his palm. He shows his hand to us. "My mom got it out of me..." he said. I just stay silent, thinking about what he's trying to say.

"Eleven and Y/N closed the gate" he added. He flips the paper and slams his hand down, leaving a print of his stained hand on the clean surface. "The part that was in me... what if it's still here. In Hawkins" he said.

"I don't understand. The Demo-dogs died when they closed the gate. When the brain dies, the body dies" Max said. "We can't take any chances... we need to assume the worse. The Mind Flayer is back" Mike said. As soon as he said that, I start to feel light-headed. I stumble backwards and falls on my knees, with a loud thud. They turn to look at me.

"Whoa, Y/N... are you okay?" Max said, kneeling down next to me. Mike kneels down on my other side, looking at me worriedly. "What happened?" He said. I turn to look at them and nod my head. "Yeah. I'm fine, guys. I don't know what happened. I just suddenly feel a little light headed. That's all..." I said. They gently helps me stand up.

"If the Mind Flayer's really back. He's gonna want to find a new host..." I said. "A new me..." Will said, as he nods his head in agreement. "How do you know if someone is a host?" Eleven said.

Time-skip

We decide to investigate Billy. Max is the first to see him through the binoculars. "I don't know. He looks pretty normal to me..." she said. "How many times have you seen him with a shirt on?" Lucas said. She thinks about it and nods her head. "Yeah... that is pretty weird" she said.

"More than a little, okay? The Mind Flayer likes it cold" Mike said. "And he's here lounging at the pool when it's practically really hot outside. That's the least Mind Flayer thing to do" Max said, refusing to believe that her brother is the host.

"Not necessarily..." Will said. We turn to look at him. "The Mind Flayer likes to hide. He only uses me when he needs me. It's like you're dormant. When he needs you... you're activate" he said.

"Are you saying we should wait for him to activate?" Lucas said. "No... it's too risky. He could be killing someone by then" I said. They nod their heads. "Y/N's right. We need to find out if he's the host..." he said.

I focus my attention on Billy, who's sitting down on the lifeguard watch seat. My mind went back to what happened the night before. The way he looks at me. The way he seem like he knows me even though we never personally met. The way I feel that familiar shiver when I encounter the Mind Flayer. I felt it around him. I can feel something in him. Something evil.

"Hey, where are you going?" Max said. I turn my head to see the boys running off. "I have an idea! Boys only... come on!" He said. "Seriously!" Max said. "Just trust me on this!" He said. The boys runs off. Max turns her attention to Billy, looking at him through her binoculars.

"God... I hope it isn't you. I really hope it isn't you" she said. "We'll find out soon, Max..." I said, trying to comfort her. She just nods her head, turning to me with a small smile.

I can see the worry in her eyes. She told me Billy has always been an ass to her. Yet, she still cares for him. What should I tell them... I don't even know how to explain what I saw or felt the other day. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

*to be continued*