Halloween '81

Iris POV

Just as the pain resided, I looked around and saw a bespectacled man making bubbles for me. He was my dad. Before I registered what happened, I giggled. Beside me was Aires staring at me lovingly. Beside dad was another man who looked like Sirius but there were some differences. It was Regulus Black, Sirius' younger brother.

But wasn't he supposed to be dead?

You're absolutely correct, Iris. But this time he will die protecting his son, not by drowning, but by getting killed by Voldemort.

So you're saying that Aires will be boy-who-lived, too?

Yes.

Where will he be sent after his parents died?

With you of course.

W-what? Why? They'll abuse him too! And wouldn't he be sent to his mother's blood relatives instead of mine?

Ah, yes, the thing is: his mother died just after his birth. Lily's magic will protect you and with extension him because of your soulmate bond.

That... makes sense.

I shall take my leave, Iris. Call me when in need.

The connection ended. I was brought out of my thoughts as dad said, "No boys", seeing that Aires was staring at me and I was staring at him.

Just then the wards triggered and dad was alerted.

"Peter betrayed us", he said in a barely audible whisper but everyone in the house heard him because of the silence.

Mum came downstairs and picked the both of us.

"Lily take the children and go. We'll hold him off"

"No"

"Please Lily, I love you"

"JAMES!", Regulus yelled, "HE'S NEAR!"

"I love you too, James", and dad went to hold him off.

Mum went upstairs with us just as the killing curse was shouted two times and both dad and Regulus were dead. Aires was crying but did not make a noise.

"Mama loves you, Dada loves you, little flower, be safe, be strong, Regulus loves you too, little star, be brave, and remember Dumbledore is not a man to be trusted, understand?"

We both nodded, just as the door was blasted open and there stood Voldemort in all his snake glory. He cackled.

"Not Iris, not Iris, please not Iris!"

"Stand aside you silly girl... stand aside now."

"Not Iris, please no, take me, kill me instead"

"Not Iris! Please ... have mercy ... have mercy..."

"Very well... AVADA KEDAVRA!"

And just like that mum was dead.

He advanced towards us and I felt Aires take my hand trying to protect me.

"AVADA KADAVRA!", Voldemort sneered.

The curse came towards us but a bright shield appeared and it rebounded. Voldemort was too busy cackling because he thought we were 'dead' that he didn't see the curse coming his way.

A high-pitched scream erupted from him and his soul was broken into three parts.

Death grabbed the two which were coming towards us and destroyed them.

A crack of apparation was heard and Snape came in.

When he saw me, he froze. Ah, yes, forgot to tell you, I will look exactly like my mother.

He saw mum and fell to his knees cradling her dead body near him

Footsteps were heard from downstairs and Snape disapparated with one last look at mum.

Sirius entered and made sure we were safe.

He took us, casting a broken glance at our fathers, he went out.

Hagrid was waiting for him. Sirius was stubborn not to give us to him, but I saw Dumbledore hiding behind the bushes. He raised his wand and compelled him to give us to Hagrid and run after Peter and disapparated.

During the sky ride, we fell asleep, knowing that it will be hell of 10 years - that is if we do not run away before that.