"Seems so. Why else would he come here? They don't exactly like each other."

"I agree." Jale nodded at Sam. "Remember the last time? Two years ago, when the Marquess stayed in the mansion for a week? He almost emptied the dungeon. That man's a beast."

"True. Billy and Paul— two servants who were assigned to clean the Marquess' bedchamber? They even resigned." Tim commented.

"Yes, their backs hurt from all the cleaning." Ralph nodded, earning another slap from Tim.

"No, you fool. I heard it was because the Marquess threatened to drink from them."

Jale opened his mouth to speak—

Bang!

The door of the small hut burst open, stunning the four guards inside it. Out of reflex, they got on their feet.

Three of them had their hands clasped around their swords, right foot on the front, left one some feet apart as they were ready to attack the intruder.

Jale was quick to jump up on the wooden table, aiming his arrow at the door.

The figure at the door hunched down with a scream.

"May the Good Lord bless the land of Sorraine! I am a humble servant, good Sir!"

"Huh? A woman?" The archer mumbled harshly. He jumped down the table.

The guards looked at each other, confusion marring their faces.

The archer spoke after a minute of silence.

"Why did you come here?" His voice was hardened. "No servant is allowed outside the mansion at this hour. What are you doing here? Why are you here?"

"Good sir—" She tilted her head up, the light from the oil lamp placed at the corner of the hut illuminating her burnt, scorched face and an eye patch secured on her left eye.

Ralph took in a sharp breath.

"I am—" She was cut off as Ralph marched towards her, swinging his unsheathed sword at her.

Ada leapt on to her feet and backed off with a gasp at the sudden attack. The tip of the sword, however, managed to cut through the flimsy white sheet she was wearing just below her collarbone.

"Have you gone insane, Ralph?" She heard one of them scream but her eyes were focused on the ground.

Blood seeped through the fabric and stained her palm as she pressed it against the wound.

"Don't you know? She is very infamous around here. Ada, isn't this your name?" he asked rhetorically, making other guards look at each other warily. "She was sent to the prison for a week, just two days ago. And here she is! The bitch is running away!"

"Good sir," Ada whispered, "I won't have come to you if I wanted to run away. I am here to inform you that there is a fire in dungeons. I am sure there must be more guards coming—"

Before she could continue, the rumbling of horse hooves filled the atmosphere as a troop of guards rushed to the mansion.

"Fire! Fire! Dungeon's on fire!" Their screams attracted much attention as in a matter of few moments, many guards could be heard outside, chattering amongst each other.

The four guards looked at each other and dashed outside the hut. Ralph bumped his shoulders with her and glared before following his fellows.

Ada watched as they stepped into the forests. She turned around with a sigh.

What a bunch of fools. Didn't even lock me up. She thought to herself as she put more pressure on her wound.

"All the guards who are off duty! Assemble near the stream! Bring buckets from the supply room!" A guard hollered outside and they soon rushed through the trail, to the dungeons.