thirty-five

☾

GENEVIEVE ties up laces on her skates and doesn't get up until Ivan walks over to her with his on. He places a handout and Gen grabs it, and he gently pulls her up, "Ready?"

     "No." She blankly states.

     Ivan grins, "That's the spirit."

     "If I die, I'm gonna haunt you for the rest of your life." She grumbles, slowly walking over to the public ice rink. She was nervous but seeing that many people made her anxiety skyrocket.

     "You can't die from ice skating." Ivan deadpanned.

     "Approximately forty people die every few years from skating. I could be one of those people." She says. As soon as her left skate touches the ice, her hands grip Ivan's hands tighter.

     "Isn't that for ice hockey? And I'm here for you, and I won't let go unless you want me to." He says, and she gulps, nodding her head.

     When both her feet were on the ice, she took a huge breath. Ivan very slowly began to move on the ice. "Try mirroring my movement, okay?" She nods, biting her lip.

     She starts to move the way Ivan did. After a while, she told him to let go, and when he did, she was fine, until she fell after a bit.

     But after a few more tries, she finally got the hang of it. She skated across the ice with Ivan trying to rapidly increase his pace and catch her.

     Ivan grabs a hold of her wrist and spins her towards him. She laughs as she gets pulled into his chest. Her hands were on his chest, and she was looking up laughing a bit, her eyes twinkling in delight.

     After a bit, they just stared into each other's eyes. That's when Ivan says, "Happy birthday."

     Her eyes widen in surprise, "How did you—"

     "Asked around." He answers.

     She smiles, "Well, thank you."

     "I have a question." He asks as he starts to feel nervous.

     She nods her head, "Okay, yeah?"

     "Can I be your boyfriend?"