Three: Comfort, Apologies, Exhaustion

INOSUKE POINT OF VIEW:

I woke up in an unfamiliar building. I didn't see Tanjiro anywhere, so I was worried. But... why was I worried? Aren't I supposed to hate Tanjiro? I don't wanna hate him.

I quickly got up and walked around the building until I spotted Tanjiro. He was talking to some lady, who looked very apologetic. Then, he turned around and saw me. "Inosuke, you're okay! I'm so glad!" He said, walking up to me.

"Your mask is gone. Sorry, I know it was special to you." Tanjiro said, looking upset. I smiled at him and kicked his calf.

"It's fine, as long as you killed the demon!" I said, still smiling. Tanjiro smiled back at me and the lady set up her table. "You boys should eat before you leave." She said as she put food on the plates.

"I agree, come on Inosuke. You must be starving, knowing you." Tanjiro said, grabbing my hand as he walked to the table and we sat down next to each other. The lady smiled at us, probably thinking we were really close friends. We're not though, everyone thinks I hate... Well, everyone. I guess that doesn't matter though.

"Thank you, miss." Tanjiro said, grabbing chopsticks and breaking them apart. "It's not a problem, and there's no need to be so formal." The woman said. Tanjiro, the lady, and I began eating.

After we finished, Tanjiro grabbed his box and we were going to leave. "We appreciate your hospitality, but we should really get going home. Our friend must be really worried." He said, wiping his hands and mouth with a napkin.

"Of course, that's understandable. I have guests coming over in about a half an hour, anywho." The lady said as we walked out of the door. "Thank you again, goodbye!" Tanjiro waved as he spoke.

"Hey Inosuke," he started, "I'm really sorry about your mask." I looked at the ground, keeping track of my footsteps until we stopped after a minute. "It's fine, I don't care. I can just put a paper bag over my head and put some holes in it to help me breathe or whatever." I said, swatting away the mosquitoes that were hovering around me.

"Really, are you sure? Because it sure seemed to mean a lot to you." He said, getting two rice balls out of a small bag he carries around and handing one to me. I unwrapped the foil it was covered in. "Yeah, I just used it to cover my face." I muttered without even realizing.

"You what?" He said, and that was when I realized what I had said. "No, nevermind, it was nothing. I said nothing." I retracted nervously. It's not like I really implied anything, but I didn't want Tanjiro to feel as if I did. I do use the mask to cover my face because it makes me look more intimidating, but I also just don't like my face because it's so feminine.

"Inosuke, we can go back to the field and look for it if you want. I'm serious, Zenitsu can wait a little longer." Tanjiro said. Suddenly, my ribcage shot a sharp pain throughout my entire body and I collapsed to the ground.

"Inosuke, what's wrong?" He asked me, squatting next to me. I couldn't answer, I was in too much pain to even move. I pressed against my chest in hope that it would ease the pain. I started coughing harshly.

Tanjiro slid the box off his shoulders and set it on the ground beside him. He picked me up and carried me on his back while he held the box in his hand by the shoulder straps.

I didn't complain, I just thought about how it was so comfortable, but weird. Eventually, I was half asleep, and he didn't stop. He just kept on walking.

When we got back to the cabin, Zenitsu came out running before we even reached the front porch. The idiot gave up trying to be a demon slayer and just started staying home when Tanjiro and I went on missions.

"Tanjiro, why'd it take you so long to get back? And what's wrong with Inosuke?" He asked with concern. I just flipped him off, barely being able to move. He furrowed his brows and narrowed his eyes.

"I honestly don't know, he collapsed to the ground and wouldn't speak but he looked like he was in a lot of pain." Tanjiro explained. I closed my eyes, irritated by a ringing in my ear. I started to fail at staying awake, and my head was slinging over Tanjiro's shoulder over and over again. I could hear him chuckling right before I fell asleep.

I woke up on the couch, next to Tanjiro. He was talking to Zenitsu, who was in the kitchen, making food. "Oh, sorry Inosuke. Did we wake you?" Tanjiro asked, looking at me as he realized I was awake. "No." I replied simply.

"Oh, okay then!" He smiled. In that moment, I looked into his eyes, and I was surprised. 'It's crazy how one measly hug can make someone so happy. I guess he just really needed to let his tears fall, and for someone to accept it and hold him while he cried.' I thought.