"My whole childhood, I watched you favor him, and then you went and married him off to your rich friend's daughter and then both of you conveniently forgot my existence."

Criminal. She was her son's criminal. Both of her sons. She'd raised one with the belief that because he was a man, the eldest son, he was something, and everyone else was nothing, and the other, she'd neglected.

And now?

Dead. Both of them are dead, and she sat here, the sole mourner.

And when my time comes? Who will shed tears in my remembrance?

No one.

She was pulled from her thoughts by the appearance of a styrofoam cup in front of her.

Looking up, she saw that Anjali held out the offering.

"What do you want?" the old woman snarled. "Are you here to mock me? Isn't it enough that my son is dead?"

Anjali pushed the cup forcefully into her grandmother's hand, and then sat down next to her. "It's tea," she said, taking a sip from her own cup.

Subhadra stared at her. "Why?"

Anjali pretended not to understand. "It's awfully cold here; I thought it would warm you up.""

"You know what I mean. Don't play dumb."

Anjali sighed. "You'll never change, will you? Lavanya told me that the autopsy procedures are over and the body is going to be released today; you'll need someone to help with the funeral."

"But why did you come? You could have sent a servant."

She shrugged. "I don't know. I suppose...I suppose I thought you needed family."

Subhadra turned away, so as to hide the tears in her eyes.

Oh what a fool she'd been.

***

Akash opened Payal's door, and helped her out of the car. She smiled at him, and Manorama, watching from the window, sighed happily.

Akash was just like his father. Manohar had been so very gentle when she'd been pregnant. Of course, he was good to her in general, but there was a different sort of warmth when she was carrying his child.

It made her sad, sometimes, that they'd never been able to have another one, but soon, her grandchildren would fill their lives.

I'm going to be the best grandmother, she thought.

"What's on your mind?" Manohar said, startling her.

"Hello, hi, bye-bye, don't sneak up on me like a ghost. Look how happy our son and bahu are."

"That's good. It means that the doctor said everything is fine."

"Of course it is. I told him that Payal is strong, and a little scare like that wouldn't hurt her. But he insisted on a full check-up."

Manohar's mood darkened. "Well, I wouldn't exactly call it a little scare."

Manorama shuddered. "Don't remind me. To think that our lives were in such danger–but it's over now. Happier times are here."

"Ah yes. Speaking of which..." From behind him, Manohar brandished a pair of tickets.

"Oh, what's this?" Manorama exclaimed. "England?"

"Let's take some time to enjoy our youth before our grandchildren remind us of how old we really are."

Manorama laughed. "Yes, my dear."