"Ellie? Is everything alright?" Milana questioned. I couldn't help but run my hand down my face knowing that I was crying in front of a stranger that was in my room. 

"I don't know. Just emotional I guess. I miss my family and friends." I lied. 

"Ellie, I know you may not know me well but I want you to know that if you need someone to talk to I am here." She softly replied as I looked at her for any sign or indication that she held ulterior motives. I made my way to the table where she set the food and sat at one of the two empty seats. I gestured with my hand at the other for Milana to take the remaining seat. 

"Do you have a mate Milana?" I questioned while biting into a mouth of Ragu. My eyes refusing to leave hers. It was then that I watched her shoulders flinch at the word mate. 

"Yes I did have a mate." Milana replied. 

"Did?" I furrowed my brow. 

"Yes. Did. Past tense. He died." Milana's answers are clipped and short but I can feel the pain etched into each word that she speaks. I can't help but feel guiltier for asking her such questions. 

"I'm so sorry." I mumbled as I then spooned another bite of pasta into my mouth. 

"There is nothing for you to be sorry about. It wasn't your fault that he died and neither was it mine. It was just how life was supposed to work out." She explained. 

"The way you say it, makes me feel like you have an interesting story to tell." I responded with intrigue. 

"It is a story I'll tell you that." She chuckled as she sat back into the chair, getting more comfortable. Her eyes seem lost as she appeared to immerse herself in memories of the past. "May I ask you a question in return?" I gave her a clipped nod. "Alpha Samuels he is your mate?"

"Yes." I replied. "Ex-mate actually." 

Milana's eyes look like they are about to pop out of her head. "He rejected you?"

"That's more than one question Milana." I chuckled out. 

"That's true. I can't help but feel intrigued by your story and what brings you here. How about this? I tell you my story and you tell me yours?" She jests. 

"I'm not sure. How do you know you won't go running to the Elder's with my secrets." I replied as I pondered whether or not she was trust-worthy.

"Please, I won't be telling the Elder's anything. They know I am not someone to mess with," She says with confidence.

"Even Chancellor Thorn?" 

"Especially Chancellor Thorn." She smirks.

"Alright, you have a deal. Whatever we speak about in this room will not leave this room. Agreed?" I replied in a questioning tone. 

"Deal." Milana stated. "I'll go first as a sign of good will." She stated. I replied with a nod for her to continue. 

"My mate, well he was a good man. He was the Alpha of my old pack. He was kind, handsome, he had a great sense of humour. He was someone that you could trust, he was reliable. Unfortunately for my mate, he trusted the wrong people and it cost him our bond and his life." She had a wistful smile. 

"I came to know he was my mate on my eighteenth birthday. The moment he saw me, it was love at first sight. Neither of us ignored the pull, the bond, the love that was weaving us together. We were extremely happy for about three years. His family and pack all accepted me as the Luna. Everything was the way it should be.

Two years before his death, his family became extremely hostile towards me. They started to hate me, they would speak words that I wouldn't say to my worst enemy. This soon spread throughout the pack and they too turned me away from me with no explanation. I tried to speak to my mate about this but he simply shrugged me off saying that I was imagining things. That his family loved me and the pack was happy with their Luna. He questioned his family in front of me and his mother simply acted in front of my mate.