Returning Home

Ellie 

After the ceremony I embraced my family who all but exclaimed their pride and joy at the completion of my studies. We all went out for dinner and it was there that I announced my decision to return home for a few weeks while I made plans for my career path. I didn't want to tell them my intentions of remaining in Florida where my grandparents and uncle resided for fear that the job opportunities would fall through. 

My grandparents were elated that I was returning home and Uncle James was happy as well, he was so excited that he returned to my flat and helped me pack the remaining boxes. Both of us were similar, he had spent years teaching me how to defend myself considering I was a lone wolf. He had taught me many fighting techniques during those years and during that time I had picked up some of his mannerisms. 

Uncle James was a great man and it surprised me that he had no wife or children. It was something I wanted to ask him but I was scared of his answer. I didn't want to question him in case the answer was too painful. I knew about mates and how they worked but due to having no interaction with other wolfs I had no one to ask about these questions other than my family. I knew my grandparents were mates because even at this age they struggled to be apart. My grandmother would look at my grandfather like he hung the moon and the stars in the sky. 

I had always wondered what it was like to have a mate. I mean I remember listening to Grandmother talking about how she met my grandfather, the way she described it was like it was magic. She spoke of sparks setting off her skin like fireworks, she spoke about how her eyes met his and it was like an instant connection, a thread that had been intricately woven between them both. Both my grandparents lived for each other, Grandmother was extremely protective of my grandfather, and he didn't care that he was human, he would go to the end of the world for his true love. 

I was now on the plane ride home with Uncle James, my grandparents took an earlier flight and were both wanting to get home earlier to prepare for my arrival. Uncle James was helping me transport my personal items home after being years away from home. The plane ride wasn't too long but James had already fallen asleep. He had the capacity to sleep wherever he landed, it always made me laugh. 

Uncle James was an accomplished man, I knew he lived within a pack but he never told me much about it. I never understood whether it was because he wasn't allowed to discuss the pack or whether it was because there was not much to say or because I didn't take much interest in the pack. He was the Beta and even though I wasn't part of the pack, he always made time for me during his duties. I know from what Grandmother said that the pack he was part of was not the same one she grew up in, but I could tell she was proud. 

I know Uncle James had tried to convince my Grandparents to join the pack, that they would be welcomed and safe on pack land but both were happen with their home and didn't want to leave. They expressed that this had been their home for years and they had watched their children grow up in this house. Their house had fond memories and they weren't ready to let that go. 

It wasn't long before the plan landed and we made our departure with my many boxes and suitcases. Uncle James was strong thanks to his werewolf genes in putting them in his car. His car was a large pick up truck that had plenty of room for my personal effects. I quickly jumped in his truck after we had loaded the boxes. 

"So Ellie Belly, you excited to be home?" James hummed out as he switched his radio on and unrolled the windows. Florida weather was something that I would have to get used to, it was nothing but hot and humid. The complete opposite of New York. 

"Yeah I guess I am. It's been a long time since I've been back here." I replied as the breeze from the window fills the car. 

"No matter where you go, Florida will always be your home El's. You've been missed, especially by me!" He exclaimed.