08

Pov: Deiji's

I was sitting in my classroom zoning every now and then, trying to stay awake, looking at the clock and nervously tapping my foot. Just when I almost fell asleep I felt Sunghoon turning around and giving me a little note.

I slowly removed my head from the desk and took the wrinkly paper. I quietly opened it and read what was written on it.

"𝐃𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐩𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐥 𝐭𝐨𝐝𝐚𝐲?" I smiled at the messy handwriting and pulled out a small piece of paper to write my answer. "𝐘𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞! 𝐃𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞?" I slowly folded it and tapped Sunghoon on the shoulder. He turned around and took the note. I fiddled with my fingers while waiting for his reply. After 2 minutes he turned around and gently put it in my hand. "𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐍𝐞𝐥𝐥'𝐨𝐫𝐚 𝐝𝐞𝐥𝐥'𝐀𝐯𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐚 𝐁𝐨𝐳𝐳𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐨 𝐨𝐩. 44, 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭. 𝐈𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐬 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐬𝐭."

I read through the note carefully smiling to myself. I loved the suggestion. The song was a bit slower but dramatic with a romantic meaning. It was perfect. I tapped him on the shoulder and put a thumbs up which made him smile. After the class was over we went to the music room.

"I found these notes online. We can read through them and then start." Sunghoon softly said. I just agreed and started reading. "This doesn't seem really that hard at all. With practice we can do anything!" "Yeah so we better get started. The festival is in 2 weeks." "2 weeks! Sunghoon you should have told me in advance so we could start earlier!" "It's no big deal Deiji. We still have a lot of time if we practice everyday and plus we both catch on things pretty fast so don't be scared." "Well, I guess you're right. Okay then let's start." While reading the notes, we played, every once in a while someone would mess up but we would just cover it up with a laugh. With each other's help, we got the hang of it pretty fast. It still needed a lot of practice but I'm sure everything's gonna be sorted out until the festival.

After school we went to get some boba. "Sooo Sunghoon." I started. He just hummed in response. "Is everything okay with your father. Has anything happened after the festival?" There was a moment of silence until he spoke up. "Well I sort of haven't seen him after. I think he kind of lives with his new girlfriend now." "Gosh Sunghoon I'm so sorry. If you ever want to come sleep in my house your always welcome." "Thank you Deiji but I'll be fine." "Okay, whatever you say." We didn't really say a word after that until I got a call from my father.

"Oh wait my father is calling me this will only take a minute." I said with a smile making him smile too. "Hey dad what's up!" "Hey honey. I forgot to tell you but you won't be going to school tomorrow." "What, why not?" "You have a doctor's appointment. Just a check up because, you know." "Dad can we talk at home I'm kind of busy." "Of course! Bye hun." "Bye dad."

I hung up and looked at Sunghoon smiling. In fact I was dying inside. I was so scared. I was zoning out until Sunghoon started talking. "Hey Deiji. You okay?" I just looked at him and forced a smile. "Yeah hahahaha. I won't be going to school tomorrow tho." "What why?" "I have a little check up at the doctor's tomorrow morning. Nothing special." He just kept looking at me not saying a word. Sunghoon is the last person I want to tell what's wrong with me. I care about him too much, he can't know.

The truth is, I fought with "Restrictive cardiomyopathy" or "RCM" ever since I was little. Basiaclly it's a heart condition where the chambers of the heart become stiff over time. Though the heart is able to squeeze well, it's not able to relax between beats normally. This makes it harder for the heart to fill with blood. The blood backs up in the circulatory system. It's one of the rarest forms of heart-muscle diseases.

That's why I'm scared for tomorrow. I don't want them to tell me that everything I went through as a kid will come back. I don't want them to tell me I need an emergency surgery like they did 8 years ago. I don't want to go through all of that all over again. Everything was supposed to get better, why do I suddenly need a check up again.

I thought about it for a few minutes until Sunghoon spoke up. "Deiji I have to go, but make sure to text me about the check up tomorrow and if you have time we can meet up and practice for the festival." He softly said with a small smile. I just nodded my head. "Bye Sunghoon."

That night I didn't close my eyes one time. I couldn't sleep knowing that tomorrow's appointment will either ruin my life or I wouldn't need to think about it for the rest of my life.