Chapter Twenty: The Truth Revealed

Zhao Yunlan did not even consider trying to lie his way out of the situation.

"I'm a private detective, but I've also done some personal protection work.  Da Qing is my partner.  Your sister was worried about your situation, and since you were reluctant to get the police involved, she hired us to keep you safe."

"I see."  Shen Wei nodded slowly.  His expression was inscrutable.

"I'm sorry we lied to you," the other man continued, "but we were afraid that you wouldn't let me into your life if you knew who I really was.  And I couldn't protect you from far away."

"Who else knows?"  The writer's voice was low and even.  It gave nothing away.

"As well me and Da Qing, only the police detectives, your sister and Lin Jing.  He needed to know so that I could easily replace him."

Zhao Yunlan saw Shen Wei's jaw tense almost imperceptibly, and suddenly words rushed out of him like a flood.

"You need to understand.  Everything I said to you, everything I did.  Whether it was as your assistant or as your protector, I meant every word of it.  Every single word.  And what happened between us.  Tonight, and before, in this room.  I wouldn't change it for the world.  I wanted it."

"But you don't understand, Zhao Yunlan," Shen Wei replied, his voice now full of hurt.  "When it happened, you knew who I was, but I didn't know who you were.  You kissed me, but all the time you knew you were deceiving me.  It wasn't equal between us.  It wasn't fair."

For one of the few times in his life, the detective was speechless.  The author was right.  It wasn't fair.  As soon as he had realised how deeply his feelings for Shen Wei ran, he should have told him the truth.  He thought that by keeping his identity secret, he was protecting the man, but it had been a bad miscalculation.

"Shen Wei, I..."

"No.  Don't say anything.  I'm not going to ask you to leave the estate.  I'm not stupid.  I know that you have a job to do, and that you being here has made a huge difference to my safety and my sister's state of mind.  I just need some time alone to think."

Zhao Yunlan nodded sadly.  He knew he should just be grateful that the writer had not fired him on the spot.

"I understand.  Take as much time as you need.  But make no mistake.  I'll still be watching over you."

As the door to his room closed behind him, Zhao Yunlan shut his eyes and leaned back against the cool wood.  He only had a moment to reflect before his phone rang.

"Partner, it's me.  I've spoken to Chu Shuzhi."

"And?"

"They're putting out a press release asking all young men between the ages of 18 and 30 to exercise extra caution over the next few nights.  Chu is worried that the guy will be frustrated after failing tonight and take it out on some stranger in the city."

Zhao Yunlan ran a hand over his face.

"I hadn't even thought of that," he admitted.  "Chu is probably right.  But we've got another problem."

Speaking quickly, the detective filled his partner in on his earlier conversation with Shen Wei.  The other man was typically positive in his response.

"He didn't kick you out?  That's great."

"I'm not sure 'great' is the word I'd use."

"Zhao Yunlan, Shen Wei is a smart man.  He knows that you are probably the only reason he's still alive.  He just needs to process this new information and decide how he's going to deal with it.  But trust me, you won't be going anywhere."