Chapter Twelve: The Necessary Precautions

Shen Wei watched from one of his study windows as the three men moved away from the house, deep in conversation.  He could not deny it.  Despite his earlier misgivings, it was somewhat of a relief to put his situation in the hands of people much more experienced than him and Zhao Yunlan, although he had to give his assistant credit for how he had dealt with things thus far.

Sitting back down at his desk, he opened up his laptop and immersed himself in his work until his employee returned, but it was not Zhao Yunlan who tapped on the door.

"Mr Shen, I'm back.  Fortunately, they had the colour you wanted in stock, and they still have the measurements on file from last time.  I told them it was urgent, and the new curtains will be here tomorrow."

The author smiled fondly at the man standing in the doorway.

"Thank you, Butler Lao.  I had complete confidence in you."

The older man turned at a sudden sound, and Zhao Yunlan appeared beside him.

"All sorted, Shen Wei," he said, cryptically.

Lao Li shook his head at the lack of honorifics, but did not say anything.  After all, times were changing, and the formality that had previously existed between employer and employee was quickly being eroded by the younger generations.  Instead, he took his leave and headed towards the kitchen.  It was usual at this time for him to have a cup of tea and a chat with Chef Yu before the dinner preparations began in earnest.

Zhao Yunlan walked into the office and closed the door behind him.

"I think we should tell the staff," he began.  "The detectives agree with me that this is just the beginning, and cases like this usually escalate.  This guy, whoever he is, eventually he's going to want to hurt someone close to you, and there simply aren't the resources there to protect everyone in your inner circle."

"Stop."  Shen Wei held up his hand.  "You're going too fast.  Tell me how you left things with Detective Chu."

Zhao Yunlan took a breath and steadied himself.

"He wants a list of every person who supplies or delivers to the household, and he needs to talk to Zhu Hong, so I suggest we give her a heads-up so she doesn't hear about it first from the police."

"That makes sense.  Would you mind..."

"Fine.  I'll call her after we're done here."  Zhao Yunlan rolled his eyes.  It did not go unnoticed.

"Sorry.  I just think you'll be able to explain the situation better than me."

"It's not a problem.  Now, about security.  Detective Chu is happy with the measures I've suggested already.  He's also going to arrange for an unmarked car to be stationed outside overnight.  As soon as they get any new leads in the murder case, he'll call.  The only other thing you need to know is that they've found out how the guy got in the other night.  There are scuff marks against the rear wall that match on both sides.  Probably made by a ladder.  The barbed wire should cut off that route.  I'll make it a priority."

After that long explanation, he threw himself into a chair, thoroughly worn out.

Shen Wei smiled at the tangle of limbs in front of him.

"I think you should take a few hours off," he remarked.

"I intend to.  Starting now.  We can talk later about letting the staff know."  With that, Zhao Yunlan rose to his feet and left just as abruptly as he had arrived.

The author shook his head.  Sometimes he wondered who was really the one in charge in the employment relationship.

Once the detective was safely ensconced in his room, he got out his phone and called Da Qing.