Chapter Eighteen: The Big Day

The morning of the wedding was clear and sunny and, as he dressed, Shen Wei was pleased that the weather was smiling on his former assistant for his big day.

The event itself was taking place in the parkland grounds of a small country estate a few miles out of the city.  Zhao Yunlan had offered to act as driver, but the author had wanted his assistant to be able to have a few drinks over the course of the day, so he had instead asked for him to book a reliable car firm to take them there and then pick them up afterwards.  Little did he know that the private detective had enlisted Da Qing as the driver, although the man had insisted that his business partner hire a Mercedes rather than show up at the author's estate in his own rusty Volvo.

For himself, Zhao Yunlan felt uncharacteristically self-conscious as he shrugged into his black suit jacket.  He disliked formal attire.  It restricted his movement and made him feel as if he was trying to be someone he was not.  Still, for the sake of Shen Wei, he was willing to grin and bear it.

After a final glance in the mirror, he decided that he looked presentable enough, and reached into his bedside table drawer for the final accessory – his gun.  He tucked it into the holster beneath his jacket and hoped fervently that he would not have any cause to use it.  Then, he made his way downstairs to collect the wedding present and wait for their transportation.

He did not know much about Lin Jing's future wife other than her name, Sha Ya, and the fact that she was apparently very different from her fiancé.  Shen Wei had described her as being 'alternative' although that word could mean a hundred different things.  Still, it did now make sense why Butler Lao and his employer had chosen a small but exquisite piece of colourful mosaic artwork as the gift, when he would have thought that the groom's tastes would run to something a little less overt.

A buzz at the intercom told him that Da Qing had arrived, and as he watched the black car make its way down the driveway, he hoped fervently that Fatty had at least smartened himself up for the role as driver.  He was not expecting a chauffeur's cap, but something a little more convincing than his usual jeans and sweater combination would be nice.

Hearing the sound of someone descending the stairs, he glanced back, and was met with one of the most striking views he had seen in a long time.  Shen Wei had opted to change outfits again, retaining only the white shirt he had selected the day before.  Now, he was wearing a grey tie and a dark blue double-breasted suit, with widely spaced white vertical stripes.  His hair had been trimmed shorter, exposing the back of his neck, and was smoothly parted on one side.  No doubt Butler Lao's doing.  The overall effect was smart, polished, and devastatingly attractive, particularly when the man aimed a small smile in his direction.

"Was that the car?" he asked, and Zhao Yunlan pulled himself together enough to answer.

"Yes.  I've got the gift, so if you're ready to go...?"

"I think so."  Shen Wei took a deep breath, and immediately the other man realised just what an effort this would be for his employer.

He crossed to stand next to the clearly nervous writer and touched his arm gently.

"It's okay.  Remember, we are only going to one place.  Straight there, a few hours celebrating with good company, good food and good wine, then straight back.  And I'll be with you the entire time."

Shen Wei nodded gratefully.

"Thank you, Zhao Yunlan.  I'm sure it will be fine.  Please don't worry about me."

The two men made their way out into the sunlight, where Da Qing was holding the rear door open for them.

The detective gave his partner a quick once over and suppressed a groan.  While the man had managed to don a shirt and suit jacket, he could obviously not bring himself to give up his jeans.  At least they looked clean, he supposed, and luckily Shen Wei was far too preoccupied with his own thoughts to notice.