Chapter Fifty-Two - Death And All His Friends

Start from the beginning

I was right about one thing, I was going to love him till the end. And here's the end, and here I am, still in love with him. I'll always love him, on earth or in heaven.

The mutts ripped me limb from limb, my flesh and blood dripping from their rabid mouths while I just watched, screaming in horror and pain. If I could, I would have shot myself in the head, but the mutts threw my gun away from my hand.

   Then, when I thought it couldn't get much worse, there she was.

My sister.

My daughter.

   Reef's head poked out from above. The last person I wanted to see this was staring down at me as I screamed in horrible pain. Why couldn't she stay back? Why couldn't they try harder to keep her back? Why did this have to happen to her? To us?

   "KAI!" I heard her voice over everyone else's, over all the snarls and squelching flesh and my own screams. I heard her sobs and frantic motions to get out of the arms of whoever held her back.

   I wanted to say goodbye to her, I wanted to tell her how proud I was of her and of how much I loved her. Why was it only now that I got to see how grown up she was? I could see the way her face had matured from the young chubby toddler she used to be. And once upon a time, she was thin and weak, but now she was strong, both mentally and physically. The warm thought of my sister numbed the pain just by a little bit, but it was enough for me.

   I tried to shout up and tell her that everything was okay, that I was going to be okay, but the only thing that came from me was a loud wordless gurgled grunt. God, I don't think I've ever seen her so scared in my entire life, and the tears that spilled from my eyes mixed with my blood.

   That's when I heard Reef's sobs get even louder as a small device was tossed above me. I followed it with me eyes as everything seemed to be slowing down. The world went silent and the pain went away.

The Holo

   My last throughts were of Reef, of her smile and her confidence and her demeanor. I raised a beautiful, talented, awfully sarcastic young woman. I wouldn't want to die any other way than knowing that I did it for her. For Finnick. For their future child and that future child's life.

I saw it all.

I saw Reef teaching her kid all that I taught her.

I saw Finnick running with that kid up and down the sandy shore.

I saw Kit, happy, with some other guy that was going to treat him right.

I saw it all.

And I smiled.

Reef

"Nightlock..."

No

"Nightlock..."

God please no

"Nightlock."

   "KAI!" I screamed with everything in me, the tears falling heavily down my face as I watched the blood spill from my brother's mouth and smear across his face. His screams were loud and full of pain.

He was going to die

Kai was going to die

   Why him? Why did it have to come down to the love of my life or the man who raised and cared for me? Why couldn't we all get out of here alive and live a life of happiness and content. But no. The world hates good people.

   Katniss, with tears running down her face, threw the Holo down to my dying brother. The brother who worked hard his whole life just so I could be happy. The brother who made me dinner, the brother who's smile always made me feel better, the brother who forced me to promise him that I'd survive. And I did survive. So why couldn't he?