Chapter Twenty-Nine - Suffocating Mockingjay

Kai

   We stood in the elevator, on our way to meet with President Alma Coin herself. I had yet to be with her without Boggs present, but I knew I'd be fine. It was Katniss I was worried about. She stood next to me with no expression, just a blank stare while she looked at the bunker as we descended lower.

   "I was taught that District 13 was destroyed." Katniss finally spoke up and I looked over to her and saw her stare at me. She was trying to make small talk so at least she didn't hate me.

   "Yeah, well, the Capitol bombed the place thinking they left it as nothing more then dirt and debris." I informed her. "But because this is a military district, they learned to live down here."

   I remembered Boggs giving me the rundown of the history of District 13. I was fascinated by the things he told me, about the ways they had survived. It was incredible.

   "You see, to them, the war never stopped." I told Katniss who continued to stare at me. "They've been preparing themselves for the day when they get to rise up."

"But your not from Thirteen, your from Four." Katniss reminded me and I nodded. "So how did you get here?"

   It had been a bright sunny day, I was in the shack, waiting for the Games to come on so I could watch Reef and Finnick. I was so mad about it all,  the pain of loosing both Finnick and Reef weighing down on me. But then, someone entered the shop.

   When I tried to tell them it was closed, they still didn't leave. That's when I met Boggs. He informed me of the rebellion and Reef's contribution in it. I trusted them right off the bat, always having good judgment in the past. But maybe it was because they promised to get her out of the Games safely.

   That's when they snuck me out of Four, bringing me to Thirteen where I was brought to a whole other world. People living underground, learning, fighting, surviving.

   "They kidnapped me." I joked and was surprised to see Katniss try to hide the fact that she laughed. I couldn't help but smile and shortly after that the elevator finally stopped.

   The door opened up and me and Katniss walked forward. Crowds of people came from every direction, everyone heading somewhere. I glanced over to Katniss and watched as she admired the bunker, looking up to the roof that went up miles and miles.

   "I was amazed too." I told her and she turned to look at me. "It seems weird, dosnt it? To be somewhere you thought you'd never get to go."

   "Yeah." Katniss said as she and I continued forward. "Something like that."

   "Come on, this way." I said, leading her over to some metal stairs. We climbed up and I could pretty much see the relief in her face when she was away from the crowd.

   I lead Katniss over to an opened door where a man in a wheelchair sat. Katniss was about to walk in but then stopped when she noticed I had halt at the door. She then looked at me and I could see in her eyes how much she didn't want to go in there. Not on her own anyway.

   I don't think I was supposed to go in, but if she wanted me in there then what harm could that bring? I nodded to her, walking behind her as she slowly made her way through the door.

   In the room was a massive meeting table and lights that gave the room a bright ominous glow. The thing was though, every room in this bunker had an ominous glow to it. There were a lot of chairs around the table and nothing more then that. The only thing that occupied the room was Beetee.

   "There she is, our girl on fire." A man's voice said with excitement and we both turned to see Plutarch making his way over to us. I straightened up my composure as Alma Coin made her way over as well. Her deep grey hair draped over her shoulders and she smiled when she looked at Katniss. She almost looked like she was analysing her. "Madam President, may I present to you your Mockingjay."