Prophet Yaqub's Story

The story of Yaqub and Yusuf (alaihis salam) given in Surah Yusuf, is a fascinating story, imparting a strong lesson in patience, loyalty, nobility, and compassion. Life is full of challenges, and there isn't a single human being on earth who's free from hardship in one form or another. Even the prophets were tested with losses of wealth, health or their loved ones. Quran says, "Or do you think that you will enter Paradise while such [trial] has not yet come to you as came to those who passed on before you? They were touched by poverty and hardship and were shaken until [even their] messenger and those who believed with him said, "When is the help of Allah?" Unquestionably, the help of Allah is near." (Surah Al-Baqara, Verse 214) Prophet Yusuf (a.s) descended from a long line of Prophets, beginning with the Prophet Ibrahim (a.s), who was his great grandfather. Prophet Yusuf (as)'s grandfather was Prophet Ishaq (as) and his father was Prophet Yaqub (as).Prophet Yusuf (a.s) had eleven brothers. They all lived near Jerusalem in Palestine, which at that time was called Canaan. His youngest brother was called Binyamin (Benjamin).

 The story begins with a dream, in the middle a dream and ends with its interpretation fulfilled. Yusuf (alaihis salam), son of the Prophet Yaqub (alaihis salam) awoke from his sleep and filled with excitement, ran to his father and related his dream. He had a dream in which he saw the sun, the moon and eleven stars bow down to him. Prophet Yusuf (a.s) told his father, Yaqub (a.s), about his strange dream. Yaqub (a.s) told him to be careful and not to tell anyone else about the dream. Prophet Yaqub (a.s) loved all of his sons. But they all, except Binyamin, felt jealous of Yusuf (a.s) because they thought their father loved Yusuf more than he loved them. The brothers were so jealous of Yusuf (a.s) that they came up with a plan to get rid of him forever. One brother suggested that they should kill him. Others did not have the heart to kill him and thought it would be better to send him to a faraway place. Finally, they decided to throw him into a well. Travellers would find him when they stopped for water, andYusuf (a.s) would disappear from the brothers' lives forever. Their purpose would be served with his exile. And then they would repent for their crime and become good people once again. It was the cleverest of ideas seemingly safe. One day, brothers approached their father asked their father if they could take Yusuf (a.s) with them to play. Yaqub (a.s) was afraid for Yusuf (a.s), but agreed to let him go.

 The brothers set off together with Yusuf (a.s). When they were a long way from home, the brothers acted on their plan. They threw Yusuf (a.s) into a well and left him there. The brothers then returned home without Yusuf (a.s). They went to their father weeping, saying that Yusuf (a.s) had been eaten by a wolf whilst they were playing. The brothers showed Yaqub (a.s) their younger brother's shirt covered with the blood of a sheep, to convince him of their story. Deep down in his heart Yaqub (alaihis salam) knew that his beloved son was still alive and that his other sons were lying. He held the blood stained shirt in his hands, spread it out and remarked: "What a merciful wolf! He ate up my beloved son without tearing his shirt!" There was water in the well, which buoyed Yousuf's body, so he was not harmed. In the dark well Yusuf managed to find a stone ledge to hold onto, thinking why my brothers do it? His father's smile flashed before him recalling the love and affection he had always shown him. Yusuf began to pray earnestly, pleading to Allah for salvation. A group of travellers stopped by the well on their way to Egypt. When the travellers lifted the bucket from the well, Yusuf (as) came up too. The travellers took Yusuf (as) from Palestine to Egypt, where they sold him as a slave. Yusuf (as) was bought by the Chief Minister, the Aziz, of Egypt. The Aziz treated Yusuf (as) well, and Yusuf (as) was thankful to Allah and remained a loyal slave. Yousuf was made the personal attendant of the chief minister's wife, Zulaikha and with his pleasant manners, handsomeness and charming behavior, he won everybody's heart. 

The days passed and Yousuf grew in this family. Shaytaan came in Zulaikhas mind and she fell in love with Yousuf. Eventually, even though he did nothing wrong, Yusuf (a.s) was sent to prison as a way of avoiding unwanted attention and sin. The chief minister knew Yousuf (A.S) was absolutely innocent, with a heavy heart, he sent Yousuf to prison. Prophet Yusuf (a.s) was someone who recognised his own strengths and weaknesses.
Being aware of his own weaknesses, he went to prison rather than be potentially seduced by his master's wife Zulaikha.