She was calm and steady as she could be. She'd practiced the argument a little, hoping she wouldn't have to justify herself. She'd hoped that Snape's mortification would keep him from talking about it, but she must have known he'd tell Dumbledore. Snape and Dumbledore were key characters in the memories, the most stealthy fighters in the upcoming war.

"If it makes you feel more comfortable, I will take a vow of secrecy, but I have no intention of discussing with anyone what Professor Snape was or my own personal relations to criminals." She put a special emphasis on 'was'.

Something flickered in Dumbledore's gaze. He sat back in his chair. "I must confess, Miss Black, I am quite curious to know what's in your head. You seem more well informed than should be possible."

Her jaw clenched. She was starting to develop a headache. She sat back as well, massaging her temples. What could she do? Tell them that they were in a book? She could be sent to St. Mungo's, the wizard hospital in London for psychiatric care for saying something that insane. Her memories weren't even concrete enough to show him properly if he tried to use Legilimency on her.

"I..." She closed her eyes and spoke slowly. "I am aware that the darker side of my magic comes from my grandfather. I understand that my father was a former supporter of my grandfather, but he changed his mind."

She opened her eyes briefly to stare into Dumbledore's politely curious face.

"My father was a good man. A stupid child, but a good man. He wasn't even of age when he gave his life fighting against the Dark Lord."

Her eyes closed again. She could feel memories crowding around inside her head. She wanted to pull them apart, wanted to understand. Stories her mother had told her were all gobbed up with the books of her previous life.

"I understand that Professor Snape was similar to my father in that respect. Emotions are harder to cope with when using Legilimency, but know what regret is."

She finally looked up at Professor Snape. She hadn't dared to look into his eyes since that day. He looked like a panda, his eyes had dark circles. He must not have slept any better than she had since then. She hoped he didn't remember her nightmare with the same clarity she did.

Even sleep deprived and brooding, he was handsome. His brows were creased and the odd urge to touch him came to her. What would her touch accomplish? She couldn't offer comfort to a man with so many more years of experience. So many more years of pain...

"I do have my worries, Professor." She turned back to Dumbledore. "I know that I will have a cousin coming next year that might have a better idea of who I am related to. I don't think he can prove it though. My ability to talk to snakes isn't something I talk about with anyone and I won't talk about it. My mother warned me not to let it slip and the mistake with Professor Snape will not be repeated."

Dumbledore gave a slow nod. "What are your other worries, Miss Black?"

"Harry Potter."

Snape sat down in the chair finally. He looked a little sick.

Dumbledore's eyes seemed to flash, but he confirmed. "He is coming to this school."

Ariadne nodded. "Next year. He'll be eleven a couple months after my own birthday. I can do the math, Professor. His birth was recorded in a Recent History of Magic."

"Why does this worry you, Miss Black? If you're not thinking of trying to continue your grandfather's legacy..."

Ariadne glared at Dumbledore. She slapped her hands on the desk. "That child will be in danger!"