eventually, they calmed down and lily started driving, ignoring the persistent buzzes coming from her phone.

summer connected her phone to the aux and started playing various songs, mostly the nbhd, chase Atlantic, and Lana del ray.

the wind blew lilys hair from her face and summer watched her best friend as they both sang along to "3 nights" by Dominic fike, lily laughed hard when summer flawlessly sang the 2nd verse that is incredibly fast.

summer and lily had been friends since summer moved to mass almost 11 years ago. they were practically twins at this point, not just sisters. they knew every single existing thing about each other, they pretty much shared a brain. except summer got the smart part of that brain.

they first met when summer was walking down the sidewalk by her house, her mother watching from the driveway. summer walked into a patch of grass and started to blow the fluff from dandelions, when 6-year-old demon lily came through the patch of grass, in one of those miny cars that all the rich kids have. except it wasn't any other car, it was a barbie themed jeep. lily was screaming for summer to get out of the way as lily had lost control, but summer being clueless summer, didn't move. lily ended up running the little girl over, breaking her arm.

"summer!" shianne yelled, watching her daughter get obliterated by a barbie jeep. instead of crying, summer just laughed. summer laughed historically, watching lily crash into a tree. lily was only worried about the victim of her hit and run, very confused as to why summer was just, laughing.

"oh my goodness!" lilys mother yelled as she ran down from the opposite side of the grassy field as shianne, the 3 crowding around summer, stayed laughing on the ground. her arm hurt like hell, but she just laughed and laughed.

shianne was used to this, summer had done this since she was old enough to talk.

"your arm is broken," lilys mother exclaimed, she was a pediatric neurosurgeon.

summer and lily walked into the all too familiar building, the smell of BO and axe body spray filling their noses. summer quickly got nervous, grabbing her friend's hand next to her and squeezing the life of it. lily looked down and saw what was happening, before looking back up to summer, who looked like she was about to cry. lily gasped, squeezing back summers hand and dragging her into a bathroom. there were a lot of girls, all girls that bullied summer since middle school. lily scoffed and dragged her best friend into the handicap stall, dropping her bag and locking the door.

summer was consumed by her anxiety, her hands shaking and tears forming, lips quivering. lily just let go of summer and cupped the girl's face, knowing how she gets.

"Listen to me sun, you are beautiful. don't fucking listen to those whores who tell you otherwise. you are a goddess, and all those other bitches can burn in a dumpster fire." lily whispered, making summer look into her eyes, rubbing her thumb over summers cheek.

"it's not that" summer sniffled, lily moving her hands and taking summers instead. "I haven't been back in here since I blew up, everyone in this school has seen me. and half of them leave hate comments daily," summer tried to not let the tears fall, as her makeup looked great. lily just sighed, wishing she could aid the pain. she simply dropped her hands and pulled summer into a tight hug.

summer smiled into the hug, lilys hugs were the best. plus she always smelled good.

"I'm sorry girlie, I know it must be rough" was all lily could say as they hugged, lily had been bullied her entire life, but she was the opposite of summer. Lily's esteem just got higher every time they would say something, to the point where people started to love her more and more. but summer, she has no natural defense to hate as lily does. and she like her father, always letting people get to her.

they let go and fixed each other's makeup, before walking out hand in hand, summer following lilys actions. she strutted with a feeling of uplift, walking with an attitude of "I don't care what you think". though, it was all fake confidence.

summer and lily chatted and caught up with some old friends by their old lockers, summer finding it hard not to laugh every time someone said something.

nick

I talked with matt and Chris by our old lockers like every single teacher in the building said to, when I heard a specific laugh in the background. a familiar laugh, a laugh I usually hear on TikTok. I peak my head over matts shoulder to see 2 girls like 30 feet away from us, one of them was crying and the other one was laughing softly. that's when I recognized one of the faces, summer Cromwell. a super funny girl, she blew up on Instagram like 2 weeks ago.

why is she crying?

the nosy side of me won as I started to drift away from my brothers, they were confused but didn't care enough to say anything.

before I could stop myself, I was standing in front of the girls, watching the other girl try to cheer up summer, who was just shaky and tears welling in her eyes.

"are you okay? What's going on do you need any help or something?" I asked, mentally kicking myself, knowing what it's like to get attention online and then have people bombard me in public. usually, I'm alright with it if it's a fan or something, but more times than not it's just kids from our school trying to use us for attention.

summer sniffled nervously as the other girl turned to me with sass in her tone, being protective of summer. I quickly recognized who the other girl was, lily. summer always posts with her.

"she's fine. we don't need any help, if you want an autograph or something you need to wait" lily said sarcastically, summer pulling on her arm trying to get her to stop, before bursting into laughter from what lily said. I laughed as well, genuinely finding it funny.

"what she meant to say is, thank you but I'm fine. just a bit overwhelmed, that's all" summer explained, pulling the sleeves of her shirt over her knuckles. i chuckled a bit, watching lily break into a heavy laughter from what she said.

"okay, I'm sorry i didn't mean to be weird or anything i was just worried," i said before walking back to my brothers, whose conversation hadn't changed very much

1656 words