[⁹] ᵇⁱᵍ ʷᵒʳˡᵈ

Start from the beginning

"In da house," he said, snapping his attention away from her and in the teacher's direction but still appearing distracted.

"Jacob Bennett?"

Jake was much more concise. "Yo."

"Phoebe Bradley?" There was no answer. Her sight was lost ahead. "Phoebe?" He repeated, getting closer to her desk.

"Forgive her, Mr. Mavros," Jen intervened. "She's totally buggin'."

Whispers could be heard at several times throughout the day. They could've been about anything-there was always something going on-but it made Phoebe's ears ring. Her paranoia was not entirely unfounded, though.

After many fruitless tickings of the clock, the bell rang to indicate lunch break, so Jen and her were dead set on finally tackling the issue. However, Phoebe was scarcely allowed out of the classroom before being called to the principal's office.

Jen looked at a loss, wondering what Phoebe could have done that would merit a visit to the principal, and if it was good or bad.

"What's going on?" She asked with precaution.

"I have no idea," Phoebe told her wearily before leaving for the office.

When Phoebe walked in, Principal Cosgrove gestured with her hand to the chair across her desk.

"What's this about?" Phoebe questioned, not relaxed enough to take a seat.

"Miss Bradley, we have received some... concerning information." The cat-eye glasses slipped far down the bridge of her pointy nose when she looked over them, leaving the woman's droopy eyes appear way smaller without the magnifying effect of the lenses.

"Get on with it."

The principal's disapproval of Phoebe's verbal manner was obvious in her serious expression, but it was disregarded, as it was not the main topic or problem.

"It seems you share a relationship with a gentleman who is several years older than you. What do you have to say about this?"

Phoebe forgot to breathe for a second. If it had even reached the principal, it was no coincidence.

It was no doubt another product of Kaylee's connivances. At that point, there was simply no second-guessing anymore.

Phoebe told herself to remain calm. As much as humanly possible.

"I don't see how my life outside this place is any of your business."

"Normally it wouldn't be. But in a case like this, I'm afraid we must intervene and stress how inappropriate it is."

"I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm literally an adult now." Her argument fell short, if only because she had been an adult for a mere day. "And that man is just someone from work. Whatever else anyone may have told you is total bullshit."

She was careful to measure her words, not spilling any information that would be incriminating. Something really difficult for her, as she usually became overwhelmed when backed against the wall to the point that anything could come out of her mouth.

Principal Cosgrove crossed her arms over her chest, feeling impatience start to brew. "Language, Miss Bradley."

The woman wasn't the only one feeling impatient.

"I'm not gonna stand here and listen to this."

Phoebe spun in the opposite direction, heading out the door again.

"I have to insist that while you are a student in this school you cannot see him," Principal Cosgrove said loudly.

Phoebe glanced backward only to direct one of her intense, furious stares at the woman.