"Hey," Cooper said.

Sasha nodded an acknowledgement as, down the hall, one of the shouty people yelled an obscenity at the other.

"Yeah, uh, let's..." Cooper pointed towards the stairs as he started to walk in that direction. "Sorry about them." Cooper was silent for a moment. "I don't know why I'm apologising for them. I don't even really know them. But I was here first, so I feel like... I don't know. Some level of responsibility for the way this place is."

Sasha put his hand on Cooper's shoulder because he wanted to tell him that was silly, that other people weren't his fault or responsibility, but he didn't feel like talking just then. He'd considered reaching out and taking Cooper's hand, but that was... something. But actually, just putting his hand on Cooper's shoulder was maybe weirder and they'd had that conversation, so maybe... Sasha slid his hand down Cooper's arm and took hold of his hand instead.

Cooper ducked his head as a smile overtook his face and that sure did some twisty things to Sasha's tummy.

"Thanks," Sasha murmured as they stepped out of the building, into the cool evening air. He still didn't feel like talking, but he wanted to say at least that much.

"Sure, any time," Cooper said, gently swinging Sasha's arm. "Um. I'm not really sure what to do now, because this is a getting you out of that building thing, not a hanging out thing. I mean, clearly you're feeling pretty stressed and if not for the shouting you'd want to be alone, so I don't really..."

"Um... I could buy dinner?" Sasha offered when Cooper seemed to be done talking.

"Oh, wait, I didn't bring my wallet."

"No, I..." Sasha patted his wallet where it sat in his pocket. "I'll buy dinner for you. For us."

"Oh! Ah, yeah, thanks. Sounds good."

"Uh. Oh. Um... Can you... I'll pay for the food, but can you do the, uh..."

"You want me to order it?"

Sasha nodded, relieved that Cooper had somehow deceifered that mess of a sentence.

"Sure. What shall we get?"

"What can we walk to?"

"That's a good point. Abra and Ellie aren't home yet, and they have the car. There's fish and chips pretty close, if you don't want to go far?"

Sasha nodded.

They were still holding hands when they entered the fish and chip shop, and there was a moment where the eyes of the man at the counter caught on their linked hands and then leapt between their faces. He quickly recovered and greeted them with extra enthusiasm, which Sasha got the feeling was because he was worried they'd think he was homophobic when he'd really just been momentarily surprised.

Whatever the case, Sasha didn't have the mental space to process someone else's emotional energy just then. He aimed his eyes elsewhere and let Cooper take the lead.

Cooper was good at talking to people. He knew all the right things to say, such as, 'I'd like two serves of fish and chips, please.' He was even ready with a preference when the counter man asked him what kind of fish he'd like. Sasha paid, they got a number on a little piece of paper, and they went and sat outside.

Sasha was prepared for awkward attempts at conversation or awkward silence while they waited for their food, but Cooper had come prepared. He got out his phone and put on a video about animals.

When Cooper had mentioned he learnt about animals from watching videos, Sasha had imagined documentaries. This was not that. This was a man roasting the shit out of sloths for being slow and helpless and getting killed when they went to the ground for their weekly poop.