43: Beings of Myth

Start from the beginning

Firstly, he must have been influenced by Sasori. From what Naruto knew, for Deidara to desire something that could not be blown up by his bombs would have been unthinkable to him in the previous timeline. He enjoyed the destruction his bombs caused -- there was nothing he did not dare explode (or at least try to). He lived in the moment, enjoying explosions for the transient beauty and scorning those who sought after eternity. Such opinions once fueled the clash between the differing mindsets of the "Art Duo" of the Akatsuki.

Secondly, Deidara no longer suicidally wanted to jump into the midst of danger. He knew the fanatic would have sacrificed his body (and even his life) within a heartbeat in his pursuit of the so-called ultimate expression of art. Naruto did not know Deidara in the alternate timeline he hailed from, but he could guess the rationale Deidara must have had for such behaviour. Perhaps Deidara no longer had anything to live for, so he enjoyed the adrenaline from flirting with death -- it was apparent Deidara only went out of control after Sasori's death. Maybe he relished feeling those explosions up close (the loud bang, the heatwave, the light, the colours, the flames and the pure destruction that follows), so much so that he would risk his own safety to get closer to the art that awed him so.

Whatever the case, Deidara has matured -- a side effect of the changes that Naruto has wrought.

Naruto did not know how or when it happened. He could only presume it was a result of early intervention -- a combination of his persuasion (that all art forms should be equally respected) and exposure to Sasori's dream to produce art that would last for an eternity. It was proof that their choice to return had not been for nought as even something deemed unchangeable, like a person's nature, has been successfully altered for the better. In this life, Deidara will survive. He planned to make sure of it.

"He will live."

The whispered promise hung between them, and Sasori did not ask what he meant.

Sasori probably understood Deidara better than Naruto would ever, as odd as that might be.

"I will not allow him to give up his life meaninglessly," Sasori vowed, dispelling the notion that he might not have known what Naruto was talking about.

Sasori and Deidara... Those two have never been so close in the previous timeline. Despite having polar mindsets, they meshed surprisingly well. This was somewhat of an enigma to him... Naruto had to admit that it might have been his perspective that changed, though he doubted it.

Deidara bounced in, the second to arrive, coming to a stop by Sasori's side.

The way Deidara so naturally sidled up to Sasori was telling of their familiarity with one another.

Glancing between the redhead and the blond, Naruto was struck by the sudden urge to tease...

Itachi was still quite far away, his senses told him.

And so, he gave in to temptation.

"Hey, you two," Naruto spoke, all too casually, "when's the wedding?"

Deidara flushed crimson, choking on air, and Sasori's jaw went slack as he forgot how to breathe for a moment.

Naruto looked at them innocently -- as if their plight had nothing to do with him.

After a minute of distressed coughing from Deidara, Sasori seemed to regather his wits.

"By that, you refer to a marriage between Deidara and myself?" Sasori inquired, his gaze resting on Deidara thoughtfully. "Was this something you heard from Deidara?"

Deidara spluttered defensively, "That isn't..." another cough, "it! I never said anything like that!"

Naruto covered his mouth to muffle his laughter.