•~chapter sixteen: country girl~•

Start from the beginning

Mio began to fantasize about being a 'city girl', as she thought, Jus' like Kanao~san, ah wanna be a city gal with a take-out coffee in one mitt and documents under mah arm, while ah stroll down a busy city street lined with office buildings!

Mio was suddenly jolted out of her fantasy by the loud voice of Inosuke. He stood by Kanao's and Tanjiro's desks, as he clearly panicked about something.

"We don't have a half day today because of the opening ceremony? I didn't bring lunch again!" Inosuke shouted, out of frustration. Then, his eyes lit up with the fire of an idea.

"Manao!" Inosuke shouted. "I want you to get me my usual sandwich from Platter Palace! In case you forgot, it's a combo meal with turkey avocado sandwich with a tons of honey, oats, cheese, lettuce, pickles, olives and balsamic dressing on toasted bread, with basil fries and a large soda."

Tanjiro sighed in annoyance while scratching his head. He asked Inosuke, "Why don't you go buy the sandwich yourself, if you're so desperate to have lunch, Inosuke?"

Inosuke shook his head at this statement of Tanjiro's. "Now, don't be rude to your master, Pontaro. I still haven't finished my homework!!" He said the last part in a trembling voice.

"And, since Janao is getting lots better at talking, she should give it a try!" Inosuke said, while Tanjiro shook his head.

"Don't be lazy to go, Inosuke." Tanjiro muttered.

Mio, meanwhile, had been eavesdropping on their conversation. She had indulged into another fantasy, this time one where she could say something like: "'It doesn't comply with regulations'" as she ate a sandwich.

Mio nearly jumped for joy when Kanao agreed to go to Platter Palace for Inosuke.

This is mah big chance! Mio thought. I'll watch how Kanao~san orders sandwiches, so that I can be a city gal that's capable of ordering, too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tanjiro followed Kanao as she went on her way to the sandwich shop for the second time. Once Kanao had reached the doorway, she began trembling, per usual.

Tanjiro noticed that Mio had been following Kanao. But, he focused on cheering Kanao on, hoping that she would stop shaking and start going inside.

But, Mio got the completely wrong idea.

Golly! she thought, sighing dreamily. As cool as a cucumber on a hot summer day, all she does is stan' there, facing the swank shop! Ah'd get the jitters and rush in! She's so calm and nifty!

Tanjiro sweatdropped as Mio's eyes continued to sparkle. Mio~san has definitely gotten the wrong idea... he thought.

Kanao finally found the courage to enter, and with shaky steps, she walked inside. Mio jolted, and ran inside after Kanao did.

Although Kanao had visited Platter Palace once before, she was still trembling at the sight of the stylish space full of competent, working people. Mio, on the other hand, was practically convulsing at the sight of the stylish space full of competent, working people.

The cashier, who was a woman this time (see chapter 4), waved to Kanao. "Hello! I can take your order if you're ready!" she called.

Eep! Mio thought in panic. You'd better be ready with yer order, so that the cashier don' have to wait! She looked at Kanao, to see what to do next...but...

Kanao walked out of the shop, much to the shock of the cashier and Mio.

Eeeeeeeeeh?! Mio thought incredulously. Sh-she went back out?! Why'd she do that? (She got scared and fled.)