•~chapter three: change of plans~•

The next day, Tanjiro was back at school again. He was still reeling from the events of the day before.

Tanjiro was crouched down at his shoe locker. As he slipped on his shoes, he suddenly heard gasping and sighing.

He looked up to see Kanao walking through the front doors of the school. She looked so majestic as she walked in with the calmest expression that Tanjiro had ever seen.

 She looked so majestic as she walked in with the calmest expression that Tanjiro had ever seen

No doubt about it...Kanao is the most beautiful person I've ever met... Tanjiro thought.

He shook those thoughts out of his head, scolding himself.

Stop it, Tanjiro! You know you'll never have a chance with the class goddess! he thought stubbornly.

He heard the small clearing of a throat behind him and then he whirled around.

Kanao was standing behind him, her head tilted to one side, as if she was wondering what he was doing staring at the door.

"A-ah! Hello, Kanao~san!" Tanjiro babbled, getting up and smoothing out his uniform.

'Good morning,' she wrote. 'Do you want to walk with me to class?'

"Of course!" Tanjiro said.

The pair walked up the stairs in silence. Then, Tanjiro remembered something.

"I was thinking about some vocal exercises we could do, Kanao~san!" Tanjiro said happily.

"Can you try saying 'do you want to be friends?'" Tanjiro asked.

Kanao stopped walking and took a deep breath.

"Do-" she began, and then she got quiet.

"You can't yet?" Tanjiro asked concernedly.

Kanao shook her head 'no' defeatedly.

"It's okay! We can try again later!" Tanjiro said.

At last, the two made it to their classroom. Miss Kocho wasn't there yet, so everyone was standing around, talking.

Tanjiro sat in his seat, and Kanao copied him.

Tanjiro scanned the room for someone that Kanao could talk to, and then his eyes fell on the feminine looking boy known as Inosuke Hashibira.

He obviously had amazing people skills, even though he was annoying and rowdy. But that's exactly what made people warm up to him so quickly.

Maybe we can start with making friends in our class, and do my siblings later...? Tanjiro thought.

"Hey, Kanao~san?" Tanjiro asked. Kanao, who had been staring off into space, was suddenly jolted back to reality.

"Why don't you try talking to him?" Tanjiro asked, pointing at Inosuke.

Kanao began to tremble.

'I don't know if I can,' she wrote.

"Oh, come on. I'll be right beside you as you try!" Tanjiro said, smiling kindly.