Up to Speed

Upon being brought up to speed on both ends, Henry, Katharine, Ku and Miao all sat within the room that was serving as their prison. Sitting next to Katharine, Henry commented: "I remembered hearing that Campbell Ward had a wife... 'Marie' I think her name was, wonder if Marie Manoogian was named after her. From what I heard she was thirty-one years younger than her husband."

"Marie!" exclaimed Katharine, remembering that she was supposed to babysit Dr. Manoogian's daughter. "Oh, no! Did Dr. Manoogian get a replacement!"

Nodding, Henry uttered: "Actually, I was the replacement... That Marie has a lot of energy." Smiling, he patted Katharine's hand and told her: "We can look after her together next time."

While Miao watched this with a smile, hands over her heart, Ku loudly inquired: "I'm sorry, but am I the only one shocked that there are spider-people who can take human form?"

Shrugging, Henry replied: "I find it more surprising that it is spider-people and not reptile-people and honestly, I am wondering how much truth there is to what Dido told me."

"What do you mean?" asked Miao, interested in what Henry was wondering.

"Call it a theory, but what if the more arachnid-like form of these spider-people is not their true form, what if it is something else altogether?" conjectured Henry.

Confused, Katharine inquired: "Then, why call themselves spider-people?"

"Perhaps their true form is something so alien to us humans, they choose to call themselves something in relation to one of their other forms." Supposed Henry, stroking his chin.

Everyone went silent. What if Henry's theory was right? What if this race of shapeshifters had another form, a third form that was their true form that was so alien it was like nothing else on earth, thus resulting in having to identify themselves by one of their other forms? Henry himself found himself hoping his theory was wrong, for he believed that if there was indeed a third form that was truly their actual form, it may have been more terrifying than he could possibly imagine.

His thoughts interrupted by a yawn Henry shook his head. He couldn't be getting tired, he had to be ready for when Bitter and Bitterness returned so he and Ku could knock them down and thus, the four of them could make their—

"Oh, dear, Henry, are you tired?" Katharine asked.

Shaking his head, Henry replied: "It's nothing, Katharine. I'll be fine."

Raising a hand, Ku said: "Get some rest, Henry. I can handle Bitter and Bitterness when they come back with our food, whatever it is. I have a gut feeling that they might come back with a banana split in two for you and Katharine."

Groaning, Miao commented: "Ugh, great! That means they would have the humour of the Swedish Chef!"

Nodding in agreement, Henry closed his eyes, only to feel Katharine's hands upon him. Opening them, he looked at her as she lowered him down to rest his head upon her lap. A smile appearing on his face, Henry asked: "Lady, shall I lie in your lap?"

Returning the smile, Katharine answered: "No, my lord."

To which, Henry asked: "I mean, my head upon your lap?"

Still smiling and stroking his short, curly red hair, Katharine replied: "Yes, my lord."