Victory tastes sweet

Start from the beginning

"I'll give you a light punishment for today instead as long as you both apologize to one another."

Damian and Anya exchanged horrified glances but agreed quickly.

"I'm sorry Damian ."  Anya muttered while playing with her fingers to hide her embarrassment. If it wasn't already embarrassing enough to apologize to Sy-on boy having to say sorry in front of the whole class took it to another level.

Damian's mouth dropped when he heard Anya call him by his first name something she rarely did, "I-I'm sorry I started it Anya." He stuttered but quickly caught himself mid stutter, he cleared his voice and continued.

"I guess you and that blackbell girl aren't really dorks." Damian's face flushed with his confession, his heart pounding against his chest and his head became light. Just what effect did this girl have on him he wondered.

"Right. Now why don't the two of you stay after class and study together, maybe then you two can learn to get along in the process."

Anya and Damian stared at each other with wide eyes, both slightly narrowed their eyes and glared at one another in silent anger.

"Of course if that's not a good punishment I'm certain I can come up with an even better one." The teacher raised a single eyebrow at the children in front of him. How time had flew, it seemed as though this rivalry between these them had just started yesterday not two years ago. He chuckled to himself and began class when neither of the two voiced any protest.

~~~~~~~~~
The bell had rung signaling the end of the class Anya had stayed seated and brought out her textbook to study. She read about two and maybe a half a sentence before she complete bored and turned to look at Damian. Damian on the other hand was reading his textbooks and taking notes very seriously behind her.

"You sure do take studying very seri- oh -sly." Anya called out.

Damian stared at her a blank face it's been almost two years and Anya still struggled to speak properly.

At least she stopped saying Swole chihuahua among other things. Seriously though he did wonder how Anya manage to say in Eden this long she wasn't even that smart. He was glad not that he would ever admit that to her but she did make going to class more enjoyable. Even this punishment wasn't really a punishment because he really did enjoy Anya's company.

what am I saying I do not enjoy her company I don't even like her! She's so annoying I can't stand her! She's just a dumb short shrimp who probably can't even tie her shoes without help.

"I can tie my shoes thank you very much Sy-on boy."

Damian stared at her dumbfoundedly, "how do you even do that?! Are you reading my mind or something freak?"

Anya's eyes darkened at the word, she cast her gaze down before she answered, "it's written all over your face you think I'm stupid."

Damian's heart clenched at the sight of a sad Anya, "I don't really think you're stupid." He mumbled slightly embarrassed, but he really hoped with this confession Anya would bounce back to normal.

Anya squeezed her hand two times to help her regain her composure, sure she could read Damian's mind and knew what he was thinking. But sometimes. Well no, most times. The things he says makes her heart hurt or just makes her sad. She wasn't sure why his words hurt her because Ewen and Emile said similar things and it never bothered her. Oh but Damian was a different story.

"Hey...I'm sorry Anya." Damian had stood up and stood in-front of Anya feeling awful for being so mean to her. She looked pitiful in his eyes and that made everything in him ache he was the one who caused her to hurt.

"This is a one in a lifetime opportunity. I Damian Desmond will help Anya study for the next test without any protest, and lots and I mean lots of patience." Damian's gaze softened as he offered his notes to Anya, "what do you say shrimpy girl?"

Anya gained an evil glint in her eyes as she snatched Damian's notes, "AHHA WITH THIS I CAN PASS ANY TEST IN THE WORLD I HAVE A SWOLE CHIHUAHUA!"

Damian stared at her with wide eyes, after two years he thought he would be able to understand Anya even just a little bit. But moments like this reminded Damian nothing he did could prepare him for what Anya was thinking. Such an odd and weird girl like her was too unpredictable for him and that's something he loved about her.

~~~~~~

Without realizing how much time had passed the two continued to study together for a couple hours. Damian was extra patient when teaching Anya, and Anya tried really hard to understand what Damian was talking about.

Anya noticed Damian's kept nodding off slightly, so she stopped asking questions and studied quietly. It wasn't long before Damian's slumped over sleeping on his textbook, Anya smiled softly.

She watched over him for a couple minutes to make sure he was fast asleep before talking, "sleep well Sy-on boy. You deserve it you've pulled too many all nighters this week. I'll watch over you."

She put her textbooks away, after everything was put away her eyes couldn't help but drift to the sleeping boy in front of her. Her hands unconsciously but gently patted his head, her fingers danced along his soft curls.

"You know Sy-on boy. Even if your dads not proud of you. I am." Anya didn't need to read his mind to know how bad he wanted his fathers approval for everything. His approval was the whole reason why he was fast asleep in front of her, he exhausted himself to the point of letting his guard down in front of Anya and fell asleep.

Anya felt Damian stir slightly from under her, she continued stroking his hair hoping she could lull him back to sleep. Her efforts were to no avail Damian's eyes shot open; his face completely flushed red all the way to his ears, his heart raced his head felt dizzy and he couldn't breathe.

"Since I watched over you while you slept I think I deserve a reward? Don't you think Sy-on boy?" Anya smirked that evil glint in her eyes returning.

Damian's thoughts tripped over one another not allowing him to form a sentence.

"You- I -but you and I- I uh." His mind raced he placed his hand on his chest and raised his arm up to block Anya from seeing him like this.

"I never asked you to watch over me! But YEAH OK I'll buy you desert or something!" With that Damian ran out of the classroom yelling out over his shoulder.

Anya smiled softly after him, oh how delicious this small victory was, Anya felt her cheeks dust over a light pink.