James Maguire ♡ Derry Girls《Pt.1》

♡ If I'm Being Honest ♡

If I'm Being Honest ♡

It was Children in Need week at Our Lady Immaculate College and the girls had to sit, well stand, through an assembly talking about what fundraising the school will be doing for the charity.

"Hey, where's James?" y/n asked Michelle. Y/n hadn't seen him at all this morning.

"Ach, Jesus Christ. If I've left him on the bus again my ma's going to go nuts!" Michelle stressed

As Michelle went on a rant, Claire was trying to act out a conversation with y/n. Claire made a vow not to talk for 24 hours to raise money for Children in Need.

"Robot?" y/n guessed. "Spastic Robot?" she turned her head in confusion.

"Are you really not going to speak for twenty-four hours?" Erin asked.

Claire shook her head vigorously. Y/n and Michelle shot each other a look, they had a 5 pound bet placed on whether she would screw it up or not.

"Yeah that's tough, you're better off not breathing," Orla suggested.

The four other girls gave her a look.
"Would she be, Orla? Or... would she be dead?" Erin raised an eyebrow.

"Well, it's not doing me any harm?" Orla shot back.

"What?"

"Well, I'm not breathing for Children in Need," she explained.

"Wait, so you're telling us that you are... Not breathing... Like right now?" y/n asked.

"Correct," Orla sighed.

Erin rolled her eyes. "Grand, well I'm going down to the hospital to read the sick kids some of my work," she said, delighted with herself.

"Alright, Erin I'm not lying for 24 hours to help the sick wains so you know what I'm about to say is honest. Don't you think they have been through enough?" y/n asked. Erin wouldn't stop shutting up about her novel.

Michelle nodded in agreement. Before Erin had a chance to even give a witty reply, James burst through the the auditorium door.

"Hey, I passed! I passed!" he exclaimed, a big smile plastered on his face.

"Knew you could do it!" Y/n tackled him in a hug, putting her arms around his shoulders and almost knocking him over.

James stumbled but then eventually caught his footing. He smiled as he wrapped his arms around y/n's waist, the grin remained even when she pulled away.

"What are you on about?" Michelle turned to look at her cousin.

"My- my driving test. I passed," he repeated.

"You were doing your driving test?" Erin asked confusedly.

Then, the smile on James' face started to fade. "It's literally all I've been talking about for weeks,"

Y/n patted his arm in comfort.

Michelle's rolled her eyes. "Jesus Christ, James. There's only so many ways I can say this. We. Don't. Listen. To. You," she said before adding "Except y/n. But that's only because she wants to shag you,"

Y/n lowered her hand, she had told no-one about the crush she was developing on the English boy. How did Michelle find out? This stupid vow of honesty made it hard for her to get out of this situation.

"Wait, you want to shag me?" James turned to look at her. She ignored him.

"What makes you think I want to shag James?" y/n crossed her arms. The other four girls looked at each other in agreement.

"Well you're always the first one to ask me where he is," Michelle said.

"And you actually listen to him rant on about geeky shit," Erin continued.

"Aye, you do stare at him alot too," Orla agreed.

Claire joined in by pointing at y/n, making a love heart, then pointing at James.

Y/n took a deep breath. "What?"

"Ah don't worry. He fancies you too, talks about you in his sleep and all," Michelle cleared up, turning back to face the stage.

"I- I do not talk about y/n while I'm sleeping," James protested, his face turning a bright red.

Damn, now his secret was out. The anxiety leading up to his drivers test kept him awake at night for the past few weeks, thinking of y/n was the only thing that made him doze off. The past 2 months, there was something about y/n l/n that made James' heart beat faster just by talking to her.

"Aye you do and all. The other night I went into your room to... To steal a condom because I snuck Adam O'Shaughnessy into my room and the prick forgot to bring one. You didn't have any either, James. Fucking virgin," Michelle laughed.

Y/n stood her hand over her face, ready for this to be over and James's face burned an even deeper shade of scarlett.

"Anyways what was I saying? Oh yeah, so I went in and there was dicko over here," Michelle pointed at James "all like 'y/n, you're so pretty when you smile'. Ah, let me tell you girls, I almost started pissing myself laughing,"

Y/n lowered her hand from her face and looked up at James, who was looking everyplace but back at her, avoiding eye contact because of the sheer awkwardness. 'That was actually, kinda sweet' she thought.

No more about the topic was said as the assembly started.

Word Count: 880