Prologue

“Brooks, someone is asking about you at table 50,” said Carmen, giving Brooklyn Davis a look of dread. Both of them were waitresses at The Chicago Lunchbox which was a glitzy and upscale restaurant in the poshest area of downtown Chicago. Brooklyn's eyes widened with apprehension. She hardly knew anyone in Chicago. Who could be asking for her? 

“Who? Brandon?” Asked Brooklyn hesitantly. Brandon Davis was her twin and he was the only one she knew here. Carmen knew her brother very well since he came by many times to collect Brooklyn after late hours of work. 

“No, no, a rude and arrogant as*h*le. Why don’t you find out for yourself?” said Carmen, getting back to work.

Brooklyn sighed, not wanting to find out at all! Who could be the rude and arrogant a*sh*le who was looking for her? Her heart started dreading going over to table 50 but she knew that there was no escape. She hated this job but this was her only source of income. 

At nineteen she would rather go to college than wait tables at the Chicago Lunchbox but luck didn’t favor her at all especially after her mom’s death, a year ago. She had just graduated from school when had to take up a job to run the house as well as her mom’s medical costs. Her mom had been diagnosed with leukemia two years ago and despite trying their level best, they couldn’t save her. However, she wasn’t alone in this. Her twin, Brandon too was in the same boat as her although he continued his studies by earning enough money for evening college. Brooklyn had no idea where he worked, he was always the reserved one of the two. He was elusive and preferred to keep to himself, sometimes staying away from home for days. Brooklyn had become used to his ways and stopped asking. Brooklyn had never seen her dad. He had abandoned their mom while she was pregnant with them! A cowardly brute! They hated him and had never asked their mom anything about him. For them, he was non-existent and inconsequential. 

“Brooks, attend table 50. The man will drive us crazy,” said Mia, another waitress at the restaurant. It brought Brooklyn out of her reverie and she rushed towards table 50. What did the man want? However, she was held up at table 40, where a huge family had turned up for lunch. After attending to them, when she walked over to table 50, she found it vacant. Looking around in confusion, she was at her wit’s end. Where did the man, go? Mia stopped by seeing her lost look. 

“He asked for you, then watched you and then downed three cups of coffee and then again asked for you. Then he watched you till he finished his coffee and then just walked out, leaving me a 100 dollar tip,” said an excited Mia, waving the money in the air like a prized possession. Brooklyn gaped at her with horror. Was the man watching her all this while? This sure was getting creepy!

“Oh, are you joking, Mia? Why would someone do that? I don’t know anyone,” said Brooklyn, flailing her arms in the air.

“Nope, I’m serious as ever. He was so hot! His eyes would drive anyone crazy!” said Mia, clutching at her heart. Brooklyn rolled her eyes at her friend as a feeling of dread clutched at her heart. Why would a hot guy ask for her out of all the hottest girls on the planet? 

“I hope you haven’t given away anything about me?” asked Brooklyn with concern.

“No, he knew everything about you, your full name, your age, your brother, your address, everything,” said Mia with a shrug, walking away to attend to a table. Brooklyn stood dazed at the new found information. How did the hot man know everything about her? 

“Brooks, stop daydreaming and start working. Mr. Foster has his eyes on you, girl,” said Carmen, making her come out of her reverie and rush to attend to the tables under her responsibility. She didn’t want a blast from the scary Mr. Foster who was their Manager. The rest of the day, she was too busy to even give the incident another thought.