39: Making Rounds

Start from the beginning

Dragging Sasuke with him, Naruto lured Karin out of the base by flashing yellow chakra chains at the edge of her vision.

"That was the Kongō Fūsa!" Karin said through pants as she reached a hidden cave behind a waterfall.

The Kongō Fūsa, otherwise known as Vajra or "Adamantine" Sealing Chains, was usually undermined by Naruto. He oversimplified their use. Instead of referring to it by its proper name, he called them chakra chains. It was among the greatest of ultimate techniques of the Uzumaki clan. It could be classified as one of their kekkei-genkai, except this technique was based on chakra instead of one's bloodline. They were an amalgamation of the highest fūinjutsu methods and could be used to form any kind of barrier. Using those chains, Naruto could technically bind all of the bijū from the Ichibi to the Jūbi. However, he never needed to seal or restrain his bijū -- they have always cooperated with him.

During his fight with Kimimaro, Naruto never displayed the sealing properties of his chakra chains. That was because he wanted to combat the final survivor of the Kaguya clan as a fellow physical combatant. It was like how he had used Kiba's skills against him and then the Jūken to counter Neji.

These were not real battles where it was necessary to kill or incapacitate his opponents. He would treat them the way Kimimaro did -- as a form of communication between fellow shinobi. For Naruto, it would be the intermingling of the present and an alternate future.

"I guess that's what others called it?" Naruto responded unreliably, walking out of the shadow and into the light.

Karin's breath hitched, and she stared at him.

Unknowingly to him, the girl recognised him as her saviour -- the stranger who had rescued her from a bear attack in passing.

It was a benefit and drawback of making his chakra signature so distinctive.

For Naruto, this clansman of his was only vaguely familiar.

"How are the other Uzumakis doing out there?"

ʕ•ﻌ•ʔ

Naruto took his leave after hearing all that Karin had to say.

It was as he had expected.

The Uzumaki clan was not obliterated. Its members were scattered across the continent without any way to contact each other, but they were alive. If another Uzushiogakure was built someday, they would gradually regather and regain their former glory. However, Naruto presently lacked the resources to handle such a large undertaking. If he had any intentions to help restore the Uzumaki clan, it would have to wait until the war was over.

That left Karin alone with Sasuke, who had steeled his resolve to deal with his biggest fangirl since Academy-Sakura.

Surprisingly, Karin did not spare Sasuke a second glance after identifying him as Orochimaru's latest vessel-in-progress.

"That guy was?" she asked Sasuke, staring at the space that once held Naruto.

"That was Uzumaki Naruto. He's a chūnin of Konoha and of direct descent to the Uzumaki clan from which you both hail. That's the man who will one day become the Hokage and the lord I serve," Sasuke replied frankly, having received orders to take care of this girl.

It would not be that bad if she was no longer one of his rabid fans -- though he also felt a sense of loss.

Was he becoming unpopular because he was growing old in spirit?

ʕ•ﻌ•ʔ

A blond appeared abruptly before Uchiha Akihiko in an underground cavern -- Zetsu's hideout.