chocolate cake, tea, and truffles

Start from the beginning

"Shut the hell up, Snivellus." Remus warned.

Neoma sniggered at Snape's expression when he heard the childish nickname, and turned around to begin walking again. Snape scowled. 

"What would your mother think ... of you wanting to help those half-breeds?"

Before Remus could blink Neoma disappeared from his side. Despite her small frame, she had shoved Snape into a wall, her wand pressed against his throat. 

"What the fuck makes you think you know anything about my mother." She seethed, searching his eyes desperately. Had Severus Snape really been told about Everleigh Nott's fate? Were her friends - her former friends - starting to tell others?

"Your stunt earlier this week made some of your friends quite upset. They were quick to compare you with your blood traitor of a mother."

Her mother being a blood traitor was - in Slytherin, anyways - common knowledge. The story that her father, friends, and anyone at the Malfoy Manor that cursed weekend shared was that Mrs. Nott ran away to be with a muggle. No more, no less.

But now Severus Snape seemed to think he knew of all the dirty details, and the thought made Neoma dizzy. 

"I'm sure you and Lupin have lots to talk about, I can see why you two are friendly." Severus continued, though he had a hard time getting the words out with Neoma's wand digging into his throat. "You have a common ... friend."

The way that Snape looked at Remus made his blood run cold. It was obvious that the Slytherin didn't mean Lily. He was implying something much more sinister.

Neoma, oblivious to his implications (Remus Lupin an Fenrir Greyback were on completely opposite sides of her mind - she had no way to draw the conclusion), looked at Snape strangely. "I don't know what Lily has to do with this ... but Severus, I don't know what they told you about my mother, but they're lying. Don't bring it up again."

"Do you miss her?" Snape teased. He was enjoying this - the power he held over her. The knowledge that he held, that he knew she so desperately wanted to keep hidden. 

Neoma knew that he knew. Severus Snape knew her mother was dead. It was obvious, and he didn't seem to care one bit. She didn't want him to continue speaking - not in front of Lily and Remus. 

"I'll fucking kill you, Severus." She threatened, releasing him and quickly walking away. 

Lily sent Snape a disgusted glare. He looked at Remus once more, smirking as if it were the happiest day of his life, before stalking away.

"Neoma - wait!" Lily called after the Slytherin, who seemed to pay her no attention.

Neoma wanted to get away from Remus and Lily as soon as possible. It was taking everything in her power to not break down crying, and she couldn't stomach an interrogation. Not now - not from them. They barely even knew her. They thought she was somewhere in the realm of evil until just recently, but who knows? Maybe they still did. 

"We've got to go to the library!" Remus called after her, speaking so casually that it shocked Lily. She knew that Snape's words had gotten to the boy, who was usually not very good at concealing his emotions. Now, he seemed to be putting on a brave face, determined to get Neoma to stop her rapid retreat. 

Neoma hesitated. She wasn't in the mood to go to the library anymore. She just wanted to get to her dormitory and cry. 

But she really couldn't do that, either, could she? Snape would probably be boasting to their friends about the altercation in a minute or two's time. She would get no sympathy from her peers, and would probably get further ridiculed for being in such a distressed state.