vi. say hello to the sun (and be severely disappointed).

chapter six
say hello to the sun
(and be severely disappointed).

     NINA HAD TRUSTED that Artemis knew dawn was coming, but after at least an hour of darkness and snow, she started losing hope. Without Bianca or Nico to entertain her, and with Thalia, Percy and Grover huddled up by themselves, she was feeling pretty lonely and bored. She kept gazing up at Westover Hall, her school (or . . . previous school?). Nina thought about her friends, about Macy and Aisha. She wondered if they were worrying about her, or if they even knew she was gone.

Artemis had explained to her something about the Mist. It was like a sort of magical barrier between the mortal world and the godly one, and the way people perceived it. The goddess had told her that the Mist would come up with a logical explanation for Dr. Thorn's disappearance, maybe even cause the students and staff to forget he existed entirely. Nina didn't want that to happen to her. She didn't want her friends (the few she had actually made over her time there) to forget her existence!

Nina was glued to her phone, alternating between texting Macy and texting Aisha, or checking her message inbox. No new texts.

She reread her old texts, purely out of boredom (but also to distract herself). It took her a bit of time to read, since she was dyslexic, but she powered through. For sanity's sake.

neens <3: Guys, I'm about to steal some of those muffins from the front desk lady.

neens <3: Looks so fucking scrumptious.

ayyysha: what kind

neens <3: Blueberry

ayyysha: bitch get me some too

macy's department store: please thats grand larceny dont

neens <3: No, grand larceny is when you steal something really valuable.

macy's department store: muffins are valuable

ayyysha: the jail time is worth it. MUFFINS MUFFINS BRING ME THE MUFFINS

Sighing, she texted their group chat again. guys are you getting my messages? No response. stupid fucking mist. (She had to whisper the words into her phone so it would type out, so the audio-to-text she had would hear her.) After a good ten minutes of no replies, she clicked her phone off and put her head in her hands.

She had never felt more isolated.

Glancing over at the di Angelos, she felt guilty for thinking that the Mist was being unfair. As Bianca confessed her allegiance with the Hunt, Nico's face crumpled. He must've been feeling abandoned, like his entire world was falling apart.

Switching her gaze over to Artemis, who stood alone at the cliffs edge, staring east and awaiting sunrise, she found herself walking over. "Hi," she greeted the goddess again.

"Hello, Nina."

"I have a question."

Artemis turned to her, tilted her head. "Ask away."