17: I'm kind of good at sex stuff, you know?

2 years ago

.

.

.

.

.

“This is so nice,” I squealed, hair slapping across my face as Ashley and I jumped along to the song that was currently booming across the speakers – which for the record, had like six lines in it, and five of them were: ‘jump, say hey!’

“I know, right?” She echoed, the both of us giggling in drunken excitement. 

Although, it wasn’t long before the deep thoughts started rolling in. “Who’s that girl beside you? I didn’t know you had a twin. She’s even wearing the same clothes as you.”

“You're super drunk,” Ashley slurred between giggles.

“No, I’m not,” I protested, giggling a little myself. “You are.”

“No, I…ok, I am,” she admitted. Need I say another round of giggles followed from both our ends? Apparently, alcohol and meaningless laughter went hand in hand. 

Under normal circumstances, I would have questioned my newfound sense of ‘humor.’ However, my current circumstances were anything but normal. 

Let’s face it – under normal circumstances, I never would have come to this party, never would have downed more shots than I could count, and would most definitely never have taken to the dance floor with Ashley. 

Yet, I’d done all of those things. And now, here I was – hair down, dancing, giggling and talking absolute nonsense with Ashley. 

So, yeah, this night was anything but normal for me. Still, there was something strangely exhilarating about it. 

However, it wasn’t long before the adrenaline rush began to dwindle, leaving a certain melancholy in its stead.

Hence, I wasn’t surprised when I found myself saying, “my boyfriend broke up with me over the phone.”

“He sounds like an arse.”

“He does, doesn’t he? But I liked that arse. He was cute, and kind of sweet, and we were in love.” I felt my voice trail off at the last part, my eyes straying from Ashley’s, as though seeking memories of that time. “I think I might end up alone forever.”

“Hey, look at me.” I did as she instructed, only to find her teal eyes staring intently at me, its earlier lightness gone. “You will not end up alone forever. You’re still so young and beautiful, and there are tons of guys out there who would be fucking lucky to have you.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” 

But my response wasn’t good enough for her, as was clear in her addition of: “no, you can’t say it like you’re not sure of it. You have to say it like you mean it. Let me hear you say: ‘I’m a strong, beautiful bitch!’

“Uh…I don’t know,” I drawled unsurely.

“Say it!”

“I’m a strong, beautiful bitch,” I declared – quite loudly if I might add. Seriously, the couple beside me were startled apart from their little make out session. But honestly, I was too busy reveling in the euphoric release from my outburst to care. 

“Yeah, that’s it,” Ashley cheered, leaving me beaming. “So, don’t even think of brooding over some stupid guy, because you have a ton of options to choose from.”