15: I would have even brushed my toes

I didn't realize how much time Emma and I had spent in her hideout spot, playing video games and poking fun at overused romance novel tropes - only to admit to loving them in all their cliches.

It was only until she pointed out that the party must have been over by now, that I realized just how many hours had passed by. Hence, why we were now heading back to the house.

Emma was right - the once crowded space was now empty, devoid of the chattering guests that had occupied it for most of the evening. Now, the only sounds that were left was...Aiden's voice.

Wait, Aiden's voice?

And that was when my brain finally registered the familiar sound, which was now coming out in a sharp retort of: "when did I ever ask you to do that?"

Emma and I shared a look, the same thought running through our minds. And so, we hastened our steps, practically half-running into the living room. As soon as we arrived, we were welcomed by the sight of Kara who seemed to be making a mantra out of: "Aiden, please let's discuss this later."

But if he heard her, he definitely didn't show it, as his darkened eyes were still staring at his grandma who for the record, seemed almost unfazed. And it was made even more evident from her reply.

"You said it yourself that you are in love with Aria. I did nothing but give your relationship a little boost in the right direction. If anything, you should be thanking me."

"I should be thanking you?" He echoed with a mirthless chuckle. "Thank you for what exactly? For announcing an engagement without consulting me?"

"For helping you get your life together!" She fired. "You didn't want to marry Olivia, and I understood that you were in love with Aria. But that doesn't mean you still don't need to learn about responsibility. I told you before, didn't I? Getting married is the only way to get you to focus on what's really important. Everything I'm doing here is for you." Her voice dropped notches lower at the last part, eyes searching for what I guessed was some sort of understanding.

But she definitely didn't find it.

"No," came his reply, tone sharp. "Everything you did was for you. You just love to control people like we are some kind of puppets in your little games. But you know what? I can't even get mad at you because I'm more angry at myself.

For a moment, a brief there, I'd hoped that I might be coming home to something different. I was hoping you might have changed even just a little bit. But you're still the same as you've always been," he spat, holding his grandma's heated stare.

No kidding, the woman looked like she was one blink away from shooting fireballs out her eyes as she glared back at him. But it was either he didn't notice, or he just didn't care. I had a feeling it was the latter.

"I'm done playing your stupid games. I'm getting out of here tomorrow, and this time, it's clear to me that there's no point returning."

Kara gave an audible gasp at that, immediately moving over to Aiden, desperately tugging at his arm as she said, "Aiden, I know you don't mean that. You don't mean that, right?"

He cupped her face in response, facing her moist-eyed stare. "I'm sorry, I really am. But I can't keep doing this - not with her here."

"I can understand, honey. I get that you might be upset with the way your grandma handles things sometimes, but everything she does is in our best interest."

He stepped away from her at that, eyes holding hers in a look of utter disbelief, and strangely, hurt. "How can you even say that?"

"Aiden I-"