5. Crimson lies and sins

Chapter 5

Crimson lies and sins

"Greed is a prostitute, abused by the ones with selfish and sadistic egos and misunderstood by the naïve. Greed can only be loved by the proud and grateful."

The unfamiliar man leisurely leaned on the door, swirled one dagger through his fingers and he stared like a panther. Rin held his ground. One look away and the sinister man with one eye could slice him like a rabbit. Rin's fingers wrapped around the sword's handle.

"Have I invited you to my home?" Rin spoke with certain carefulness.

Taking a step forward, his mouth curved up, showing teeth. "I rarely get invitations." Kieran said.

"Why are you here then?"

"Originally I came to kill you."

In one quick motion, Rin's sword came unsheathed.

Kieran glanced at the pointed sword. "I'm here to talk."

"I'm not interested." Rin glared. "In fact why don't you leave before I call my guards?"

Chuckling at his words, Kieran walked over to the bookshelf. "Your staff is dead."

"What a bluff." Rin said, yet his brow flinched up. He raised his sword pointing at Kieran.

"I see you like reading "An assassin's heritage." Kieran tapped a book on the shelf. "I read this when I was 12. Has it been 15 years since then? Time flies fast." He glanced at Rin. "An assassin is victorious when he attacks those who don't expect it, and his win is guaranteed if his enemy does not know what to attack."

Rin's grip tightened. Shielding his sword back, he glared at Kieran. He didn't even need that subtle hint to let him know. Even his arrogant confidence to turn his back on him, was proof enough, Rin wasn't dealing with anyone ordinary. Not someone he can easily go up against and win.

"It's a current favorite. I read it a few times." Rin circled his desk. "Some of the stuff written in there is a fiction of course. That's why people don't pay much attention to why I have that book."

Kieran smirked. "Nothing in there is fiction. I've lived it all."

"Have you really?" Rin sized him up. "If you're an assassin here to kill me, why am I still alive?"

"I said I was originally here to kill you. The hitman job is behind me; I think more progressive now. It comes with self-employment."

"Why kill me then?"

"I was going to kill you because you know too much about this natural thing...this disappearing phenomenon and you might speak up causing massive panic."

Rin's eyes opened wide and reached for his sword again.

"I wouldn't try that." Kieran's hand pushed down on the sword's handle.

Rin froze. Just when did he get that close?

"You broke into the manor yesterday!" Rin gritted his teeth.

Kieran stepped back. "Yes, I did. That aside, if you weren't a Royal, I'd ask you to work for me. I highly doubt you would have said no otherwise. It took me a while to figure it out, but that assassin's book you said was your favorite, just proved my theory that you are killing off your family members and I have to say I'm impressed."

Rin opened his mouth to argue.

"Ah, don't deny it. It's pointless."

Rin exhaled a heavy breath. "You want me to give you hush payment?"