The Winter Soldier

Start from the beginning

Tony looked at her annoyed as they walked slowly towards the kitchen. "Aren't you on pain killers? I thought you couldn't drive when on them?"

"I'm not taking them."

Catherine reached up to get a package containing a bagel, but grunted in pain when she did so. Tony shot her a disapproving look and got the bag of bagels down for her. She popped them in the toaster while she got a yogurt out of the fridge.

"Catherine, look at me. " his tone was gentler. She didn't want to. She knew he was going to scold her. "You don't get an award for how well you deal with things. No one is going to think badly of you if you take medicine or have a driver. This isn't Hydra."

Her hand slammed against the counter. "I'm well aware this isn't Hydra."

She drew back with wide eyes when she realized she had an outburst. She didn't mean to yell at Tony. He was only trying to help. He didn't understand the hell that was going on inside her head. The hell. The memories. "I-I'm sorry. It's just...I'm tired."

"There's something else." Tony observed.

"What?" She asked without looking up from putting smoked salmon on her bagel.

"There's something you're not telling me." He reiterated.

In that moment, Catherine realized she had never told Tony about Bucky. She didn't tell him that she was trained by him. That he killed their parents. That she had fallen in love with him. He had a right to know, well, some of it. She sucked in a sharp breath as she sat down to eat and give Tony an explanation.

"You know Steve's friend, Bucky?" Catherine asked him.

"The Winter Soldier?" Tony asked.

"Yes." She swallowed dryly. "I knew him, when I was with Hydra. He trained me actually. The older I got the more I...fell in love with him. I had no idea who he actually was other than his name was James. He didn't know much either. They would wipe his memory sometimes making him forget everything. I didn't know his connection to Steve until a few days ago when everything happened."

Tony sat back in his seat, slight stunned by her revelation. "Why did you never tell me?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "Part of me wanted to protect him. I didn't even tell SHIELD about him. I didn't think anyone would understand how I could love someone like him."

"Did he ever hurt you?" Tony asked.

"Not...intentionally. Like I said, he trained me. We had to fight, but he loved me. He did. I think he was trying to protect me when he realized who I was. He knew our dad after all." She said. "So, with the fall of SHIELD and seeing him again and finding out his identity, it's been a lot. That's why I just want some fresh air."

"Okay." Was all Tony said.

"Okay. I'll be careful. Promise." She assured him while she stood up to go back to her room to grab a few more things.

"Hey, Cat?" Tony called out.

Catherine stopped walking and look at him. "Yeah?"

"You can tell me anything, you know that? I'm your brother."

"I know." She said with a smile before resuming her walk to her room.

When she got inside, she picked her bag up off the ground and threw her phone and ID inside. She knew where she wanted to go. She just wasn't sure if it was a good idea or if it would even help. She pulled her hair into a low bun and pulled a hat over her head. She didn't want anyone recognizing her. Tony had always been nice enough to let her borrow any of his cars whenever she wanted. The problem was that he only had flashy cars.