The Next Captain America

A/N: A lot of people want to know how William became Captain America. I think this one is super cute. Just to give a little information, Will is around 23 probably. If you want a visual of him, I'm thinking Scott Eastwood would be his face claim. Hannah is 18. I'm thinking Hayley Lu Richardson for her. Winnie is around 16 and I picture her looking like Lennon Stella circa 2015. Kate Beckinsale would be an older Catherine. Enjoy!

The door in front of William Barnes was a familiar one. He had passed by it a thousand times in the eighteen years he lived in the house. Even after he joined the Army he would frequently pass by it during his visits to his parents' home. It was a door that was protected by a code. They all knew the code, but his parents were the only ones allowed down there. He had only caught glimpses of it when one of them would sneak down there.

Will knew what was inside. He just couldn't visualize it. Winnie often made jokes that it was their very own museum, but he knew that it was much deeper than that. It was their parents attempt at keeping their jobs separate from their personal lives. The magnitude of what his parents and the other Avengers had done the past nearly thirty years had been plastered everywhere.

His school textbooks growing up. Videos. His Uncle Steve's public service announcements. Toys. Games. It was everywhere. There was no escaping it no matter how hard his parents had tried. William supposed it was ingrained into his DNA or something. His grandfather had helped create weapons and technology to save the world. His father had been in the military and the Avengers. His Uncle Tony had been an Avenger.

His mother had been a SHIELD agent, assistant director and now director in addition to being a hero. Everyone he knew was either an agent or an Avenger. Most people thought it would have been cool to have superhero parents, but they didn't see the sacrifices. They didn't see how many times he watched his mom mourn the lose of yet another team member. They didn't see his parents stitching each other up after a fight. And they didn't have to know if it was going to be the last time they saw their parents.

He walked closer to the door before punching the code in. When he heard it unlock he opened it. Their home had been an old farmhouse before his mom had renovated it. They hadn't done much with the basement until a few years after Winnie was born. Slowly, they added drywall, ceiling, floors, security measures. His mom had wanted somewhere to store valuable items that meant something to either her or his dad. Somewhere other than the Avengers compound.

The minute his foot stepped off the bottom step and onto the floor, the lights flickered on. Shelves and boxes surrounded him. Some contained old files while others contained weapons. In the corner of one part of the room were old uniforms that belong to his parents and some of the other Avengers. There was a large desk on a wall with three monitors mounted on the wall and two computers on the desk. It was where his mom went when she really didn't want them hearing what was happening.

Hannah often joked that the phone on the desk had a direct line to all the world leaders. He didn't come down there to peruse. There was a purpose. Hanging on the wall surround by multiple uniforms was a shield, but not just any shield. It was Captain America's shield. It had been made by his grandfather. Uncle Steve, Uncle Sam and even his dad had carried it. However, it hadn't been used in nearly eight years.

"You know you aren't suppose to be down here." The voice of his sister, Hannah, from behind him.

"Neither are you." Will said as he turned around to his little sister giving him a disapproving look.

It was a look he had seen from their mother too many times. Out of all three of them, Hannah was the one who was a perfect mix of their parents. William looked like their dad, but acted like a Stark. Winnie was practically a carbon copy of their dad look and personality wise. Hannah looked slightly more like their mom. Her carefree attitude came from their dad, but her sharp witted tongue was 100% their mom. She was also the smartest out of all three of them.