δεκαεπτά

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN 
( THE FULFILLMENT OF
THE PROPHECY )

AS PER CAMP TRADITION, because they arrived back to camp alive – the first ones to do so since Luke – Kali, Percy, Annabeth, and Grover wore laurel wreaths to a large feast prepared in their honor, then led a procession down to the bonfire, where they each got to burn a burial shroud their cabins made in their absence.

Annabeth's was beautiful – gray silk with embroidered owls – and Kali laughed when Percy told her it was a shame not to bury her in it. She laughed even more when she punched him and told him to shut up.

Because there were no other half-bloods in Poseidon's cabin, others did Kali's and Percy's shrouds.

The Ares cabin took over Percy's. They'd taken an old bedsheet and painted smiley faces with X'ed-out eyes around the border, and the word LOSER painted really big in the middle. Kali's was made by Arianna, Grant, and Oliver. Oliver had gotten ahold of navy blue fabric somehow, and the others had decorated it with ocean-themed iron-on patches, with a large, bright teal green outline of a dolphin painted in the middle.

She was sort of sad to watch it burn. It was clear that her friends put some serious effort into it, and a part of her wanted to keep it because of that.

As Apollo's cabin led the sing-along and passed out s'mores, they were surrounded by Kali's friends, Percy's old Hermes cabin-mates, Annabeth's siblings, and Grover's satyr buddies. The satyrs admired the brand new searcher's license he'd received from the Council of Cloven Elders. The council had called Grover's performance on the quest "Brave to the point of indigestion. Horns-and-whiskers above anything we have seen in the past." Even the naiads came over for a few moments to congratulate them, but left quickly to avoid the heat of the fire.

The only ones not in a party mood were Clarisse, Adelaide, and their brothers. They wore poisonous looks that said they were incredibly angry at them for disgracing their dad. Kali had tried to apologize to Adelaide, only for her friend to ignore her and stomp off. It killed some of her happy mood that had formed because of the celebration.

"Just ignore her for tonight," Arianna suggested over the talking and singing and music. "If she really considers you friends, she'll come around and listen to your apology."

Grant nodded. Through a mouthful of s'mores, he said, "If no', then we 'an pran' her."

"Not everything has to lead back to a prank," Oliver said.

He swallowed the food. "That's where you're wrong, Ollie."

Kali laughed lightly. "I dunno, maybe Grant's right. Connor has a really good prank that involves a bucket, mud, and pegasus crap."

Connor poked his head around a small group of people from where he was talking to Percy and Travis nearby. "What about a prank?"

"We might use one on Addie," Grant told him.

Connor smirked mischievously and came over. "Tell me more."

The two brothers were quick to start planning a prank that may not even happen. Oliver rolled his eyes at them. Arianna grinned and watched, only to turn to look away with red cheeks when Grant caught her eyes and smiled back.

Kali bit her lip as an attempt not to laugh. "Ari–"

"We are not talking about this here," she quickly spoke.